• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire size..

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Just thinking.. could i run a smaller spare? Provided i only run it up front and only in 2WD, shouldn't hurt anything?

Yes you can, but if you have access to a full size spare I'd go that route. 2wd xjs actually came with "donut" spares. Of course, too much difference in size would quickly lead to you driving off the road.

Yeah, i'll pack the fullsize tire for longer trips and wheeling.
I just wanted one of those emergency narrow tires to clear up the trunk area when i'm just DD'in it to work and such.

Thanks

problems from running differant size spares come when you have a posi or locked axle. if you're open/open, a donut is fine. obviously if the donut has a max speed, fallow it. and get it changed out asap.

It would obviously be an emergency sollution just to get to the nearest tire shop.

I've had several of those thin donut tires in other cars (german) and for their specific purpose they do work out just fine.

i wouldn't do that if urs is 4wd because you front axle is always turning the tc even in two wheel drive it just doesn't get power. just get a roof rack and put it up there

My old stock size spare tire looks like a donut next to my 33s... luckily I have one of my old 32s as a spare.

I don't like donut spares, so I carry a fullsize (or within an inch) at all times - also, remember to check the pressure in your spare on the same schedule you check it in your service tires, it'd really suck to get a flat, swap on the spare, and discover it's got no air in it from sitting for so long

i wouldn't do that if urs is 4wd because you front axle is always turning the tc even in two wheel drive it just doesn't get power. just get a roof rack and put it up there

It still doesn't matter,front or rear as long as the diffs are "open".

Just thinking.. could i run a smaller spare? Provided i only run it up front and only in 2WD, shouldn't hurt anything?

Both XJ's I have owned 1994 and 1996 came with open diffs front and rear and donut spare. My first mod to both of them was to get a full size spare. Yes, they do use up plenty of useable and limited space in the rear but then for places I take my XJ, the peace of mind is well worth the sacrifice.

If both diffs are open ie; not locked or LS then it do not matter where it is used front or rear.

Yes you can, but if you have access to a full size spare I'd go that route. 2wd xjs actually came with "donut" spares. Of course, too much difference in size would quickly lead to you driving off the road.

And 4wd XJs too.

On the other hand, even my 2wd MJ came with a fullsize. I suspect it's because they figured a few thousand pounds of cargo on a donut spare would make for a poor experience.

A full-size spare was an available option.

If your XJ came equipped with a LSD then the full-size spare was included.

If your XJ came equipped with an OEM exterior spare tire carrier a full-size spare was included.

There may have been some trim packages that included the full-size spare too.

Mine has the towing option with a LSD in my D35 and came with a full size spare (a Michelin on a matching 11 spoke alloy wheel to boot).

Back