• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Is the dealership the only place to get larger speedo gears? Going to 4.88s and 35s, need a 39 tooth.

jr is right. just pay attention to the orientation of the gear as you put it in there are 3 ways it can set and it depends on the # of teeth. I cant remember which one is which but Im sure it is posted somewhere also make sure the o-ring is in good shape otherwise your t-case will slowly bleed to death. I did 35's withh 4.88 and a 39 thooth gear and cross checked the readings with a gps and they are right on the money.

I was about to ask a question about this....good timing. What is the stock speedo gear tooth count, I have a '98? I have 4.88's and 33's, and can figure what gear I need but forgot what the stock tooth count is.

My 99 with an auto and 3.55 gears came with a 34 tooth speedo gear.

Might be a dumb question, but whats the difference from short and long shaft (speedo gear, for the sick minded)?

One is long and one is short? :dunno:

Well to quote gojeeps website, which has a great writeup and tons of info:

"For those that have the electronic Speedo there are two shaft lengths. A long shaft ( 4.3" ) from 1991-1993 and a short shaft ( 2.2" ) from 1993-2001 for XJ and to 2006 TJ. If you have a cable rather than wires coming out of the transfer case, another long shaft ( 4.3" ) is needed for the 1987-1990 years."

ok, got it now. :banghead:

Mat

I've always just bought them at the dealership, but I'll check out Parts Mike.

Back