• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's towing? Where to park the tow rig?

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
I am flat towing my jeep for this event.

I plan on running all trails, the whole event.

Would it be best if we parked the tow rig at hermit valley?

Thanks!

-Sean

Not sure if you are street legal or not but here are your options. With the exception of Strawberry Pass all the trails are within 20 miles of Hermit Valley Camp.

1. If you park at the Hwy 50 Strawberry trail head you will need to either drive the trail out and back or double back on the Hwy. This would add about an hour to get back to camp.
a. Strawberry Hwy 50 to Strawberry Hwy 88 36 miles ~ 43 minutes
b. Hermit to Strawberry at Hwy 50 60 miles ~ 1 hour 10 minutes

2. Park at Hermit and drive to the Hwy 50 trail head, given you are street legal.
a. Hermit to Strawberry at Hwy 50 60 miles ~ 1 hour 10 minutes

3. For those of you not in tow.
a. Strawberry at Hwy 88 to Hermit 48 miles ~ 1 hour

I guess either way you look at it, it's and extra hour of drive time if you are going to tow and run Strawberry.

Hope this helps

Josh

I am flat towing my jeep for this event.

I plan on running all trails, the whole event.

Would it be best if we parked the tow rig at hermit valley?

Thanks!

-Sean

You are braver than me. Hwy 4 is dangerous enough with normal traffic. I pulled my trailer to Ebbetts Pass before (coming from the Reno side) and that was enough for me. But there should be room at Hermit Valley, or maybe not if everyone shows up.

Haha, ok. Cool.

Good news is that we are flat towing mine, and I can just disconnect it before it gets super curvy on hwy 4.

Im trying to keep wear and tear off my motor, and everything else.

Won't your tires, u-joints, and driveshafts all still be turning? Seems like those are more wear items than the engine and transmission?

Yeah, you're right. Im not positive if we will tow it all the way.
Luckily my axles and drivetrain will be low mileage!

However if anything goes wrong, at least I have the option of taking it back in tow.

Yeah, you're right. Im not positive if we will tow it all the way.
Luckily my axles and drivetrain will be low mileage!

However if anything goes wrong, at least I have the option of taking it back in tow.
Are you really that concerned with miles? Seems your Jeep is pretty streetable, I would just drive it and not worry about towing.

I hope I will be towing. From what I remember from last years Deer Valley run there was a fair amount of parking where we were camped.

I hope I will be towing. From what I remember from last years Deer Valley run there was a fair amount of parking where we were camped.

Matt, are you still able to drive your Jeep on the street?

I would say the best thing to do is drive the tow rig to the Hernit Valley Campground site and drive the rig on the street to each trail. The wednesday run on Strawbery is the longist drive from camp, the thought was this would be the first run and the drive in for the SierraFest and most would come straight from home, not from camp. Not as much thought was put in to people with tow rigs for Strawberry because less people are going to take off all three days.

Maybe not as much thought went into thinking about tow rigs for the Strawberry run, but I think Mark, Eric, Josh and Billy are working at making this years SierraFest the best yet.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:
Back