• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Jeep Center Caps on Cragar Steel Wheels (How-To)

fyrfytr1717

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off by saying that I loved the Eccos on my '99 Classic. So much so that they are still sitting in boxes in my garage as I haven't brought myself to sell them yet. I did not however love their backspacing. Sure, wheel spacers were an option, but I just didn't want to go there. I was also set on sticking with the stock sliver color for the wheels (not polished or chrome) as I think it compliments my Chili Pepper Red with silver decals quite nicely. I was considering the AEV Pintlers, but they discontinued everything except the 17" sizes. Eventually I gave up on my search for silver painted alloys and decided to go for the good 'ol Cragars. I wanted to stick with the stock five spoke look so I went for the V-5's, in silver of course! (With some brand spankin' new KM2's I might add...)

100_8948.jpg

100_8949.jpg

Yep, they were ugly, just as I had feared. Especially the rusty nuts showing through the centers on them. They needed to be covered, but I didn't want the Cragar center caps. First off, I'm not a fan of chrome (they don't come in silver), second the big cans get smashed on rocks. I decided I wanted to use stock Jeep center caps instead. I had seen some pics out there of other folks that had used them and even stumbled upon a write up on another forum. I was still a little afraid as their install seemed sloppy and prone to having off centered caps. It was time to figure out a better solution on my own.

I picked my favorite Jeep center caps and ordered a few on eBay to play around with. Mine came off an '04 Liberty, but I believe they were used on TJ's and possibly other models as well. They're usually around $9 a piece on eBay, but you can get them for as little as $5 if you're patient and buy a set of 4 or 5. They are 5 spoke, low profile, and they even came in silver!

100_8891.jpg

They use two locating studs and 3 #10 screws to hold them in place.

100_8890.jpg

OK, so the obvious problem here is that there are no holes in the Cragars to bolt them up to. I took careful measurements off the center caps and found that all the mounting points are a dead on 5 on 4.5" pattern, just like the lugs! This got me to thinking... I could make a 10 on 4.5" template, line it up with the lug holes on the wheels, and use that to figure out where to drill. This needed to be pretty darn precise as the center caps would not fit over the hubs if they were too far off center. Here is what I came up with.

100_8898.jpg

I made the circle in the middle 3.3" to match the bore of the Cragars and drew circles around alternating marks matching the size of the lug holes on my wheel. (I realize drawing these templates would be very time consuming without a CAD program. I might be willing to print off some extra copies if anyone is interested. Send me a PM...) For anyone making their own templates, 5 lug patterns are not as confusing as they might seem. Most on-line guides tell you to start at the center of one hole, skip a hole, and then measure to the back edge of the next hole. While this may be an easy way to figure out your pattern, it is not very accurate. There is actually no mystery to our 5 lug patterns. XJ's are still a 4.5" center to center measurement, it's just that there is no opposing lug hole to measure the center of. (See the following diagram) I started out with a 4.5" diameter circle, picked a starting point, and then divided it into 10 even pieces. A 360* circle means that each pair of adjacent points will form a 36* angle.

5bolt.gif

I cut out the templates and put a dab of glue stick at each drilling point to stick them to the wheels. The glue stick is immediately tacky, dries slowly, and is easy to clean off the wheels afterward. It's ideal for getting everything lined up just right.

100_8942.jpg

100_8943.jpg

100_8877.jpg

(All the circles in the above pic are precisely aligned, I just couldn't find a camera angle that would show it.)

continued...

Re: Jeep Center Caps on Cragar Steel Wheels (How-To)

Using the template as a guide, center punch each drilling location. I found it was much easier to get everything lined up perfectly if you poked pin holes through the template at the appropriate locations prior to gluing it on.

100_8879.jpg

I first drilled with a 1/8" drill bit to make sure the holes were all lined up properly.

100_8883.jpg

After checking to see that the holes were evenly spaced, I followed it up with a 3/16" which perfectly fits both the #10 screws and the mounting studs.

100_8887.jpg

I tried bolting them on with the factory screws first. On the factory rims, there is a dimple around each hole to allow room for the screw heads. The Cragars on the other hand have a "dip" in them all the way around. I threw a straight edge across the mounting surface and the screw heads and at first I thought I was golden. Unfortunately I found that when you torque the wheels down, the dip flattens out ever so slightly causing the screw heads to contact the WMS. This is a big no no as it will keep you from being able to properly torque your lug nuts.

100_8894.jpg

Countersink time! I bought a 1/2" 82* high speed countersink. You could also use a 100* countersink if you wanted to go through the hassle of tracking down aircraft sheetmetal screws. I felt the steel was more than thick enough to handle the extra depth of the 82* countersink so I stuck with it.

100_8944.jpg

I hit up each hole with a nice thick coat of silver paint pen to help prevent rusting.

100_8939.jpg

Drilled, countersunk, and painted.

100_8947.jpg

I played around with different sized sheetmetal screws and decided on Flat Head #10 x 3/4" Stainless Steel screws. The 3/4" screws will cut some new threads in the mounting posts, but they won't poke through the front. 1/2" were a little too short for my comfort. 5/8" would probably have been ideal, but they were a special order item and I didn't feel like waiting. Here are the new screws next to the factory ones. Same thread pitch and everything.

100_8965.jpg

Screwed the caps back on and everything sits nice and flush now.

100_8972.jpg

Here's the finished product:

100_8966.jpg

100_8969.jpg

Do they look as nice as my old Eccos? Hell no. Do they look better than the Cragar tin can center caps or no caps at all? I like to think so! I haven't personally checked out the other models of Cragars, but I'd assume the mounting surface is the same shape regardless of whether you have V-5's, Soft 8's, or D-Windows. I'm also going to hazard a guess that most of the OEM Jeep center caps use the same 5 on 4.5" screw pattern. With this in mind, I believe you could adapt this to pretty much any combination of Cragars and OEM Jeep (steel wheel) center caps you wanted. The pics I've seen of black Cragars with the silver center caps looked pretty cool too!

So there you go. A really long, overly detailed, write up for a pretty simple mod. Hope someone out there finds this useful!

Well, wouldn't you know it. I post this up and the "Similar Threads" brought up another write up by xjtrailrider. A little different way of going about it, but a similar end result...

Well, wouldn't you know it. I post this up and the "Similar Threads" brought up another write up by xjtrailrider. A little different way of going about it, but a similar end result...

I was just getting ready to post up that i had a write-up for this mod. Use either method and it will work out, I just liked the simplicity of having the drill guide to speed up the process. Plus I still have the drill guide to use on other wheels. I plan on doing something cool with the Turbines soon. I love the Turbine wheels but I don't like the center hub caps that come on them.

Stay tuned!

I was just getting ready to post up that i had a write-up for this mod. Use either method and it will work out, I just liked the simplicity of having the drill guide to speed up the process. Plus I still have the drill guide to use on other wheels.

Any pointers on how someone would go about recreating your "drill guide"? I'd be curious to know how you figured out where to locate the drill hole.

I like it. Been looking at some 16" steel wheels, but they don't have caps, and even the cheapest caps are more expensive than OE caps off ebay. I might be interested in a template in the near future.

Any pointers on how someone would go about recreating your "drill guide"? I'd be curious to know how you figured out where to locate the drill hole.

Pretty simple, you have the ground work done. Use a piece of flat 1/4" steel and mark for the lug holes and center cap holes. Drill the 1/2" lug holes and weld in some 1/2"x20 bolts, then you can use lug nuts to center the pattern each time to drill the center cap holes.

Pretty simple, you have the ground work done. Use a piece of flat 1/4" steel and mark for the lug holes and center cap holes. Drill the 1/2" lug holes and weld in some 1/2"x20 bolts, then you can use lug nuts to center the pattern each time to drill the center cap holes.

I know that I have the ground work done, I could just lay my template down on the piece of flat steel, center punch the appropriate three points, drill holes, and weld in bolts (if I had a welder). My question was more for somebody starting from scratch. How did you (and how would they) determine where the holes go? Just curious to know if this is easily (and accurately) repeatable without going through the hassle of drawing up a template. I think the layout is really the most difficult part of this otherwise simple install. Anyone can drill holes, if they know where to drill them...

If I recall, the write up I found on another forum suggested greasing the tips of the mounting posts, centering the cap on the wheel, and then carefully lifting the cap off to see where the grease marks were left. This was the sloppy method I was referring to earlier in my write up.

I like it. Been looking at some 16" steel wheels, but they don't have caps, and even the cheapest caps are more expensive than OE caps off ebay. I might be interested in a template in the near future.

No problem. Just send me a PM with your info. If there gets to be too much demand, I may decide to provide them free to red (and green) names, and charge postage and the cost of a letter sized envelope to the folks still in the black. I'd offer to just email the file to those who have CAD software, but we use an oddball CAD program at work which uses a proprietary file extension that I've found to be incompatible with other CAD programs.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the aftermarket caps, even the chromed Cragars cost more than twice as much as you can buy the stock Jeep ones for on eBay.

You know what I hate about those caps? You have to remove them from the spare tire.

Hadn't really thought about that. Guess it would be a bit of a hassle with the spare mounted in the stock location since it requires the hold down bolt to pass through the middle.

I had honestly forgotten about the game of "musical center caps" I used to have to play when rotating my tires. Even with the matching 5th wheel (which I rotated in) I was still only supplied with 4 center caps on my Eccos. Wasn't so bad since they just popped in and out (and eventually fell out :tears:). I can see how the screwed on caps would be a pain though.

Now with my spare mounted on the rear tire carrier, the caps all just stay in place. :D

I had seen silver on black, but not black on silver. Looks pretty slick! If those are yours, your gripe about removing the cap from the spare makes more sense now...

I had seen silver on black, but not black on silver. Looks pretty slick! If those are yours, your gripe about removing the cap from the spare makes more sense now...

Yeah it's mine. I bought the wheels from a guy who took them off his late model TJ, and painted the caps satin black. I wanted silver wheels but I didn't like the 100% silver look

Some people put the spare bolt through a lug hole I think, but I don't want to ruin the lug holes so I use the big half globe thing.

You know what I hate about those caps? You have to remove them from the spare tire.

Not if one had a tire carrier Rear Bumper! :D

Now with my spare mounted on the rear tire carrier, the caps all just stay in place. :D

Not if one had a tire carrier Rear Bumper! :D

Well winkosmosis, looks like it's unanimous. Two out of two NAXJA users agree you need to go out and buy yourself a bumper mounted tire carrier so you can stop messing with those darn center caps! :laugh3:

Looks good! Any pics of the whole side of the jeep (rather than just the wheel)?

Yeah, I took a couple in my driveway, right after I finished the install. It was already getting dark out and the lighting turned out pretty lousy, that's why I didn't post them up in the first place. Hopefully I'll get some good ones on the trail sometime soon. For now, this is the best I've got:

100_8977.jpg

(The 17's on my wife's Patriot would've looked pretty sweet on my XJ, huh? Should have swiped them! :laugh:)

If I recall, the write up I found on another forum suggested greasing the tips of the mounting posts, centering the cap on the wheel, and then carefully lifting the cap off to see where the grease marks were left. This was the sloppy method I was referring to earlier in my write up.

Thats how I found the center for the caps, I just used a dab of black paint.

Stop getting flat tires hasta :D
Yeah, I never bothered. I don't include the spare in my rotation and I figure the ugly ass hub sticking through the spare, when I use it, is a good reminder that I need to patch my normal tire and start using it again before I REALLY get screwed by a second flat.

Well winkosmosis, looks like it's unanimous. Two out of two NAXJA users agree you need to go out and buy yourself a bumper mounted tire carrier so you can stop messing with those darn center caps! :laugh3:
Make that 3! Or build one.

Love the work, makes me wish I had remembered to take the caps off my stock rims before I traded them away :( A family member of one of my co-workers clunked her 96 ZJ less than a thousand miles after getting new tires, so she offered to trade my nearly bald tires + extremely rusty stock steelies for her brand new tires + stock alloys if I gave her $250. I completely forgot to remove the caps, they're probably sitting in a junkyard somewhere now. Now that I'm on Cragars, guess I'll have to keep my eye on the classifieds and see if I can't pick up a set.

Back