• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning Engine Bay

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this might sound like a stupid question but I need to clean my engine/engine bay. I had a leaky OFA so its a mess.

Whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

Brad

2 cans of gumout engine cleaner..
go to a spray and wash place... soak engine bay and engine with cleaner. let it sit for 5 mins.. at least.. soak it good with cleaner where its really nasty..
Spray water on it to rinse it off..
it ll have a smell of cleaner for a while but it should remove a lot of the crap..

mark

Oven cleaner worked for me, same method Geek described except I was in the driveway with a pressure washer. Just be careful, it's some nasty stuff, don't get it on you.

Would be best to do it in your driveway so any electronics that get wet will have time to dry off before you try to start the jeep.

thats if you like having your driveway all spotted up from degreaser and oil dripping..
probably not.. go to spray and wash place.. 75 cents for like 4 mins of steam cleaning..

.. 75 cents for like 4 mins of steam cleaning..

damn yalls spray n wash place is cheep.... ours is like buck fifty just to get it started...

id rather have to rinse my driveway off then do that.

Everything is cheap here in Knox

Mark

damn yalls spray n wash place is cheep.... ours is like buck fifty just to get it started...

id rather have to rinse my driveway off then do that.

$0.75 at the one around the corner from my parents house, but it's certainly no steam cleaning...the lowest setting is pretty powerful.

That's why I prefer to wash it in the driveway, when the motor is cold or moderately warm at best. Plus I can keep better control of what sensors do and don't get wet. Killed one TPS that way this past summer (first time in 5 years of washing this motor that's happened!)

Purple Power, Simple Green, Gunk Engine Brite...all work well. If it's real stubborn, might take a little elbow grease with a brush to work it off.

Haven't tried the oven cleaner trick...might have to give that a whirl this week!

Haven't tried the oven cleaner trick...might have to give that a whirl this week!

only thing I use on greasy parts-- don't waste your $$ on the "good" stuff, hit the dollar store and pick up 5 for $5 and have a party with it

I'll recommend a set of dollar store swimming goggles so you keep that stuff outta your eyes when you get the crazy idea to spray the undercarriage and it starts dripping...... trust me, it ain't fun being blind for two days....

I cleaned up under the hood of my chevrolet before I sold it. I covered the computer and fuses with a plastic bag. With the engine cold sprayed a whole can of Gunk engine cleaner all over. Waited fifteen minutes, sprayed it off with a garden hose. Then took a can of foam tire cleaner and sprayed it all over. Cranked it up and let it run for twenty minutes. Opened the hood and it looked brand new.

Back