NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 5th, 2006, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

FRONT END NOISE 1999 JEEP XJ 4X4

I am a new member as of about 15 min.ago. I am hoping to keep my Jeep in tip top condition. Got wheel wander and whirring sound coming from left front. Bearing hub assy? Please help!
Thanks,
SPIKEHORN
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:51
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Re: FRONT END NOISE 1999 JEEP XJ 4X4

[QUOTE=SPIKEHORN]I am a new member as of about 15 min.ago. I am hoping to keep my Jeep in tip top condition. Got wheel wander and whirring sound coming from left front. Bearing hub assy? Please help!
Thanks,

Usually if it is the hub, the sound changes when you turn the wheel because the load on the bearings change.
Try turning the wheel left-right.
While driving:-)
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:15
NAXJA Member #760

Sounds like a hub to me, especially if you're feeling wander along with it. Sometimes if the bearing surfaces are pitted or spalled, there will be no discernible play in the bearing, and the sound won't change much with steering. If it does change, or there is play, it's definitely the bearing, but if it doesn't, don't stop there: jack up the wheel and turn it to feel and listen for roughness or rumble. It should be smooth.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

Wheel wonder sounds like Jeep design/worn out tie rod ends in the steering system. Whirrling sound is almost definately wheel hub/bearing unless you have knobby and/or out of balance tires.
Old November 5th, 2006, 16:13
NAXJA Forum User

MATT, FALCON AND 88,
Thanks for your input. I replaced the left hub this afternoon. The sounds are GONE! One little problem though... I hear some clunking coming from the left front when turning/backing. Maybe I didn' t torque things enough. Can I please ask you fellas to pick your brains again? Y'all have been quite helpful. I REALLY appreciate your assistance. Site is AWESOME!
SPIKEHORN