NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 14th, 2010, 03:53
NAXJA Forum User

P0463 - Fuel Gauge Reads Empty

Our fuel gauge in the 98 XJ doesnt work so I checked the codes and Im getting P0463. I checked the Ohms at the fuel pump plug and it seemed weird so I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. When I pulled the tank and the old sending unit the Ohms seemed fine, but I installed the new one anyway and I still have the same problem, fuel gauge reads empty. I cleared the code and it comes right back, any ideas on where the problem could be, a bad ground, bad connection to the computer? Any ideas would be helpful.
Old February 14th, 2010, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: P0463 - Fuel Gauge Reads Empty

Found the problem, started to trace the wires from the pump up to the computer and found that the ground wire had broken in the rubber grommet right under the rear seat where the wires go into the passenger compartment. Easy fix, some new wire, and heat shrink tubing and I was done. Hopefully this will help someone else find the issue.
Old February 15th, 2010, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

I hope that is my problem. I also have a 98 XJ and mine just stopped working too. I also had to replace my fuel pump because regulator took a crap, then the new pumps regulator took a crap a month later. I'm on to new pump #2. All seems good so far...
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:16
NAXJA Forum User

I just that code after plugging in the scanner, wasn't even getting check engine light, I was looking to fix the airbag light. P0463 (Fuel level sensor A circuit high), I will have to check the wiring under the seats, thanks joalyons for the tip.
Old August 17th, 2010, 15:14
NAXJA Forum User

Same problem hope this is all that it takes!