• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency please help!

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
I cant see at night my guages arent lighting up
where the rpm, the gas gauge, battery, etc., it has no lights inside,
I cant see inside my jeep
i checked the fuse i think its a 7.5 but it doesn't look damage at all
what could it be? I would of swap fuses anyway but the lowest i have is a 10.

lol. emergency? ahaha.

dude, thats not an emergency.

An emergency is having your c-clip axle walk out of the housing with
your wife ready to deliver a baby in your back seat.

:)

just sayin'.

point a flashlight at the dash for the next few days? no problemo...:D

true but if that happened i doubt id be able to make it to the forum lol
i just said emergency cuz i gotta drive all night and i cant see with out the damn things lol ok so i pull the housing out to get to the bulbs right?

Did that happen to you? :shocked:

agreed, not an emergency, sounds like an issue with one of the wires or the headlight switch, get a multimeter and figure it out. Even a Haynes manual has enough info to debug this one.

Take your voltmeter and see if you have 12V on both sides of the fuse. Positive to the fuse and negative onto a ground. If good there, check it coming out of the reostat part of the headlight switch that controls the brightness of the dash lights. I assume you have turned the reostat part of the headlight switch to full bright for the dash lights. Check a dash bulb too, but I doubt they are ALL burned out.

when i loose the dash lights on my 89 i also loose the rear tail lights.

my problem is with bad connections in my fuses block. fuses are good, but the power feed terminals for a few of the fuse slots are corroded badly from clutch fluid dripping on the fuse block. im in the process of rewiring the fuse flock.

i just said emergency cuz i gotta drive all night and i cant see with out the damn things lol ok so i pull the housing out to get to the bulbs right?

lol.

"you know you're a jeep owner when..."

Totally meant in fun, brother...hope you get it figured out.

(BTW, I second the Haynes suggestion. My copy has very useful wiring diagrams for all the different model types of cherokee/comanche. I'd get one and a multimeter and go to town.)

-Brian

Did that happen to you? :shocked:

agreed, not an emergency, sounds like an issue with one of the wires or the headlight switch, get a multimeter and figure it out. Even a Haynes manual has enough info to debug this one.

Haha, no. I'm just being a dork.

I'm at work against my will.

I'd rather be home baking Christmas cookies. :D

Perhaps not a super emergency but it's no fun driving a long distance without dash lights.

Did any sort of "event" or work in the dash area lead up to all lights going out suddenly? You can pull the cluster fairly easily to get at the bulbs but it would be rare for the bulbs to all burn out at the same time.

If you have a 5-speed and the clutch master cylinder has ever leaked onto the fuse block, the fuses can look good and be defective -- I went through that for years. You can get 7.5a Buss brand fuses at Walmart or unknown brands at the auto supply.

You could use a 10a briefly to confirm that a fuse is not the problem -- nothing is going to melt.

Edit: I see 89xj has already mentioned the Dot 5 on the fuse block syndrome....

If you want to check the fuse, but do not have a meter, just stick the 10 amp in there for a quick test. If that gets you lights, go get a new 7.5 fuse. sounds to me like you are losing power from the headlight switch or you are missing a ground. All the instrument lights are on the same circuit....

Edit: I see 89xj has already mentioned the Dot 5 on the fuse block syndrome....

silicone fluid? I thought the problem was due to glycol based fluids eating the fuse block.

$#!^^7 $^!& i think you all know what that means i messed around tryna get to the bulbs and made another problem
I broke the fuel meter stick tryna find out how to get to the bulb
not knowing there were numerous bulbs my 1st thought was I had to take the gauges off one by one to get to the bulbs and as you can imagine i broke the stick tryna get it out $#!* know what I need knew gauges right?

How do i even get the thing out of there i took all the screws out and tried to pull it out and it wouldnt come out

on the light situation I dont think its the bulbs either cuz took many would have to blow at once and i didnt do any work on the dash to blow anything out

I guess its a grounding issue probably is all tied to gether with the high beams not working now the gauges lights, who knows whats next

Take your voltmeter and see if you have 12V on both sides of the fuse. Positive to the fuse and negative onto a ground. If good there, check it coming out of the reostat part of the headlight switch that controls the brightness of the dash lights. I assume you have turned the reostat part of the headlight switch to full bright for the dash lights. Check a dash bulb too, but I doubt they are ALL burned out.

i have know clue what reostat is or where that is need some help with that one.

?!?!?!

Pull the gauge cluster and the bulbs just rotate out on the back. I don't even know what you were thinking there.

I would suggest, based on this and your previous threads, to take the jeep to a shop and have them fix it, and watch if they'll let you.

After you guys figure this out can you please respond to my post
EMERGENCY OMFGIMGONNADIE : dome light out.

Thanks in advance

AI- put the battery back in it, and see if that cures the lighting and no start issues.

Sincity- did you ever replace(or even troubleshoot) the headlight switch when it was malfunctioning a few weeks ago? Guess what other lights it controls... Checked your battery lately, alternator output, cable connections, grounds, bulbs, fuses, etc etc? You seem to have a new electrical malfunction every time you touch it- some preventative maintenance is probably called for here...

Last edited:
lol. emergency? ahaha.

dude, thats not an emergency.

An emergency is having your c-clip axle walk out of the housing with
your wife ready to deliver a baby in your back seat.

:)

just sayin'.

point a flashlight at the dash for the next few days? no problemo...:D
:roflmao:

Two words......LED FLASHLIGHT! Seriously dude. its not hard to figure out!

Back