• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix to ho throttle body swamp and smog ?

crash02

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i have a 89 4.0 aw4 home made cold air intake and have recently swaped my throttle body for a ho throttle body (with a spacer and the vacum line from map sensor still enters at the spacer instead of the throttle body). my question is has anyone had trouble with passing the visual smog test in california with the ho airbox? my egr and all other smog related stuff is still hooked up. i know i do need to put a stock(renix or ho) airbox in, but being the ho dosent have the heater hose from the header would it still be ok ? well all answers/comment welcome.
thanks crash02

i passed ca smog w/out the heater hose, and an airbox that was cut up for increased air flow. The hose is just to heat up the car faster. Nothing to do with emissions. Not sure about the throttle body, if your egr is working properly i don't see why that'd be an issue. Can i see a pic of your set up with all smog shit hooked up and w/ the ho throttle body? Do you use the renix or ho tranny kick down?

just a quick question about the swap, how did you get the HO tps to work with the renix? or did you modify the renix tps to mount to the HO throttle body.

i modified the renix tps to work with the ho unit. Which is the only viable option. FYI ITS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Leave it stock, i'f i were to do it again i'd concentrait my efforts on a perfect exaust system and a killer cold air intake.

i modified the renix tps to work with the ho unit. Which is the only viable option. FYI ITS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. Leave it stock, i'f i were to do it again i'd concentrait my efforts on a perfect exaust system and a killer cold air intake.

so the HO head and HO intake are not worth it?

Not really, considering the hp gain after all the money spent on getting a head redone. With me being in cali and forced to deal w/ the egr it wasn't worth it. If you don't have to deal with it in pa i might consider.

here is my setup(i know its not really a cold air intake until i separate the intake air from the engine heat,i am considering/contemplating/reading up on a cowl intake with the stock airbox)
DSCF2354.jpg

bracket adapter(2 pieces)
DSCF2355.jpg

renix to ho adapter spacer and tps set up
DSCF2357.jpg

close up of tps set up
DSCF2360.jpg

vacum line from map sensor to spacer(since there is no location in the ho tb for it)
DSCF2363.jpg

well i hope this helps those who wanted to see my renix to ho tb only swap.
i used the bracket and throttle cable from the ho. the renix tranny kick down cable is a little stretched but i have had no problems with it. my cruise control doesn't work at the moment because of the cable being to long but i don't use it much(but i will figure it out/fix it eventually, i do like all my things/options to work)

Last edited:
thanks for teh picts . do you have any picts of how you made the tps adapter?

I'm also interested in brackets and stuff for the tps.. I've got a 99+ intake and soon will have a HO head & cam but it's my DD and the less down time for the swap the better.

Thanks

yeah i do know what u mean about less downtime(its my daily driver) i do not have any pics on making the tps adapter but for spacers i pressed out the one from the ho tps and as for the adapter arm i made it at work(machinist). when i was researching this swap i did see a thread where some one used all lowes hardware and the end result was pretty close to mine.i'll see if i can locate it for you. i did document the angle of the pin/arm in relation to the slot for the ho tb. i do have pix of the brackets i made for the cables but will have to find them and i will post those when i find them. until the i hope this helped and will post more when possible.

Back