• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter problems

sheepaleep

NAXJA Forum User
my starter went out on my 96 xj and i would have to jump start and give the starter a wack before it'd start up. Now i have changed out the starter and i cannot get the jeep to start. What is wrong here?

my starter went out on my 96 xj and i would have to jump start and give the starter a wack before it'd start up. Now i have changed out the starter and i cannot get the jeep to start. What is wrong here?

Changed out the started for what? A new one a used one? When you put it in did you have to force it or were any bolts extremely tight to install? If so, you might have it wedged against the flywheel somehow and it's locked up because of this? If it's a used, or even a new one, did you try it out first by hooking it up to a battery? Is your ignition switch faulty? Is the battery dead? Does it turn over at all? Click when trying to start? Lot's of things to consider on this one.

Changed out the started for what? A new one a used one? When you put it in did you have to force it or were any bolts extremely tight to install? If so, you might have it wedged against the flywheel somehow and it's locked up because of this? If it's a used, or even a new one, did you try it out first by hooking it up to a battery? Is your ignition switch faulty? Is the battery dead? Does it turn over at all? Click when trying to start? Lot's of things to consider on this one.

Hell, could be as simple as the NSS, but the OP won't share with the rest of the kids.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1018147

Try wiggling the shift lever or starting in neutral. If that allows the engine to crank, you have a problem with the neutral safety switch.

Do you have 12 volts at the starter with the key in the ON position? If you do, then the starter you installed could be DOA. If you don't have full battery voltage at the starter, you'll need to start tracing your way back into the engine bay to find out why.

It could still be ANYTHING from the starter to the battery connections. Can you try jumping straight to the starter. Make SURE you are in park so you don't run yourself over. You have to bridge both the starter terminals (both the big one and the small one) with the positive cable clampl after connecting the negative to a good ground on the starter or engine. If it cranks that way, you know the starter is good.

ok i'll try jumping straight to the starter tomor. my headlights don't work at all, i guess my battery could have gotten very dead. maybe i'll charge it for awhile tomor aswell and see what happens then. Nothing at all happens when i have it hooked with jumper cables to another car and i get nothing at all.

i finally got around to fixing this. I ran a wire from my starter to a 12 volt source and got a 3$ horn switch from autozone and now i can start the jeep fine. thanks for your help

Back