• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears do I have?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing some research for my buddy who just bought his first XJ. He is currently debating re-gearing his axles for 32" or 33" tires. I figured the 1st thing we should know is what gears he currently has so here is his info. It is completely stock (4.5" RE lift on the way) It is an 01 auto 4x4 with 231 t-case and 8.25" rear end. So, what gears should he have?

likely a 3.55

regear to 4.56 would be perfect

Will have 3.55's If there are any plans for bigger then 33's i would go with a deeper ratio maybe 4.88's

Thanks for the info guys. I have 4.88's with 35's on my rig, but my buddy is on a MUCH smaller budget than what I had. He is probably going to go with 32's and I think 3.55's would be okay. If I am way off on this assumption then someone please step in and correct me. I am only going off what I have seen other guys from local NAXJA do who are running 32's.

Will more than likely lose some mileage, with 32s and 3.55s. You should go at LEAST 4.10s, but 4.56s would be your best bet.

Back