• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Control Modual?

It's on the wall of the transmission tunnel just to the right of the steering column under the dashboard. A new one will run you approx $10-20 at a junkyard. Just grab one from a 97+, I think most of them interchange, will check my parts catalogs shortly

My 96 (and all previous I believe?) had it on the panel where you say it is, wim - they moved it to where I listed it for the 97 model in 97. Easier to get at, but they put the screws in tighter :( Don't try and use the phillips head, go right for the ratchet and 10mm (I think) socket.

EDIT: looks like the 97 part number is 5602 7951; the 98 number is 5604 1386AA, the 99/00/01 number is 5604 1386AB (later revision of the same exact part as the 98.) I would bet a case of beer that the 99-01 will also work on a 98, and nearly as much that it'll work on a 97 as well.

Last edited:
If you find that you want to mess around with the TCU I can send you mine from my 98 for $10 plus shipping and you can mess with it I'm almost done ripping parts outta my 98 so it will be gone soon. if your interested let me know. I planned on pulling almost all the goodies out of the heep just to have TCU PCM CPS TPS all those are coming off as I should be able to use something as a spare for my new 4.0

Bare aluminum/mild steel box, around 3" square for a 97+ or 4x3" for a pre-97. Has a wiring harness connector on one end and mounts via two bolts.

EDIT: here's the one out of a 98-01:
outsidedv.png

eh, I drove around the block and it was great... now eh... seems to be the same if not worse.

I think my TPS and perhaps the MAP sensor may be "damp" from the hood vents. I'm going to swap them out when I toss in the bored TB.

We'll see what happens.

Yeah, TPS will screw with your shifting. Also it may not even be a TCU issue, could easily be something else. What code are you reading anyways?

I know I get an intermittant P0700 code thrown - once about every 2-3 days - won't shift on its own, have to manually shift. Starting to think it is the TPS as well.

ok heres a new thing... I had a buddy read the codes with his hand held. Checked the codes on line.

Found a little 15 amp fuse under the hood that causes some crap. Mine was blown. Drives better but I think I need to swap in a new TPS MAP n shtuff.

Back