• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E4OD Trans

DeathValleyPaul

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone found someone who can build a bullet proof E4OD. My trailer, Jeep and parts hit close to 7000 lbs, and my tow vehicle is a class C 91 Ford 460 weighing 9000 with the party all packed up to go.

the trans can't handle it. the E4OD can barely handle the RV.
I have two coolers on it, but it pisses fluid out the front when it gets' hot, and I have 48000 miles on it anyway (life expectancy is 50,000). It isn't slipping yet, but I need to do this trans and not worry about it anymore.

I am in the Southern Calif area, but I don't mind pulling it and shipping it out to be done.

i have the same garbage trans, powerstroke.org has some good info on getting it rebuilt (even after the rebuild theyre still marginal)

I have never had any problems with my E4OD. I have a total of 121,000 on the ticker. The last 30,000 were mostly towing my trailer and jeep and no complaints. I don't understand why you are getting hot enough to get fluid out the front of the tranny? Even towing through the hills I never get a hot temp out of the engine or transmission.

As for rebuilding the transmission, there are a few good shops in the southern California area I read about in Petersons off road magazine. There has to be someone around you that can get the job done.

Sorry, not much help, but I really never had any problems with mine.

I would be investigating putting a C6 in your rig.

POS E40D was marginal in lighter vehicles.

I disagree, the E4OD is a very good tranny, but it is marginal in stock form. BTS or Jon Wood can make that E4OD hold more than the engine will ever produce. BTS only builds one tranny, whether it is in front of a 100 hp stocker or a 800 hp 7.3 Powerstroke. Give Brian a call and I'm sure you will be impressed. He might even tell you what you can do to fix it yourself.

Curt

I disagree, the E4OD is a very good tranny, but it is marginal in stock form. BTS or Jon Wood can make that E4OD hold more than the engine will ever produce. BTS only builds one tranny, whether it is in front of a 100 hp stocker or a 800 hp 7.3 Powerstroke. Give Brian a call and I'm sure you will be impressed. He might even tell you what you can do to fix it yourself.

Curt

Good, we agree, the E40D is marginal in stock form, and that was with the lighter vehicles and smaller engines it was designed for.

And yes, you can build the E40D into a decent transmission, but the point is you shouldn't have to. Someone at FoMoCo had their A**hat on the day the decision was made to use this transmission in heavier vehicles behind larger engines. Period.

I guess I could get a 1966 VW Bug, and with enough money build it to the point I could win the NASCAR national championship, but what a waste of money that would be. Something about silk purses and sow's ears?

FoMoCo could have offered an overdrive unit with the C6 to boost mileage, instead they screwed the customer.

Not dissing FoMoCo, my Dad was a Plant Supervisor and retired after 33 years for medical reasons, but stupid decisions are stupid decisions, and usually made for all the wrong reasons.

My E40d has been great. I am close to 20k loaded going down the highway. I run the deep pan and a cooler.
As far as good trans shops try Lukes in riverside.

I'd look up John Woods, he's within driving distance. I've been told he will do your trans in a day while you wait if you are from out of the area......he did that a number of years ago for Mil Thornton. He is very well respected buidling a bullet proof E40D just like Brian's Truck Shop is.

You can also check with a respected local trans shop, most know how to rebuild an E40D with the good parts. The key elements are steel planetaries (rather than the stock aluminum), performance clutch packs with better material and more clutch plates, pump modifications, shift kit, possible modified valve body, and triple disc billet torque converter.

I had good parts put in the E40D trannies of both my F250 and F350 from a local shop. The thing you get from John Woods or Brian's Truck Shop is all the little tricks they've learned through the years, a local shop may or may not know all the same stuff, but they can get the good parts which are readily available.

ive been looking into getting my e40d rebuilt too...any idea of a ballpark cost cuz im sure its not cheap

ok thats cool i was figuring if i drop 1500 into it ill make it a bit better then down the road after i throw more juice under the hood i can finish the trans, or just do my dream of a 12bt swap backed by and nv4500 in my 96 f350 which is the nicest pickup style ever

Be forewarned. Don't use ATS. Too many horror stories. Use Jon Wood or BTS. Also I believe a BTS is about $4200

Thanks for all of your input. I have learned that the later E4OD trans was somewhat better but still marginal at best.

So I wound up having Art Carr, the racing trans guy send me out one of his, exchange. He was much less than the shops that claim to have it all figured out, and has a great reputation. In addition, he is welding a bong onto the pan so I can get the temperature reading from the pan where it counts, not from the trans return line on the cooler. Art Carr went over all the mods he does to the trans and the torque converter and he knows his stuff.

The guy who did every Ford truck that Casler Ball owned when they built the 105 Freeway does the same mods but runs about $1,000 more than Art Carr, after UPS costs are paid. He did over 300 E4OD trans's in a 2 year period and they never had to come back again.

Back