• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 mj

Bugboy

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 86 Mj 4x4 over the summer for a project and just have never really touched it. Now i have a blown engine in my wifes car so once again it is on the back burner. so i am putting it up for sale.

86 MJ Long Bed
4x4
2.8 V6 runs good
Interior in good shape
Bench seat
Bed liner
Mostly solid an straight
New Jersey Title Signed but not transfered yet. Took a while for me to get the title as the guy lost it.

Bad:
3speed auto leaks fluid ( i am pretty sure it is a line but havent checked it yet)
Floors rusted out both sides
little bit of rust on drivers front fender above wheel arch.
rust right rear above wheel arch
Brakes need bled. ( also have a later model cherokee master cyl)
Front bumper is off but i have hardware and bumper to replace it.

First $500 takes it. I Paid $600 for it and some XJ skids.

Will try and get some pics up on it tonight.

Question. Would I be able to drive this home? From lancaster to manchester (I'd hate to go to Lancaster because of bad memories lol. It's about 2 hour trip)

Is it worth turning into a project? And can you post pictures?

can you give me your email addy i can send through there. having problems with the photobucket. anyone want pics please pm me their email address. or could take some cell pics and send to cell number.

It is not driveable as the tranny really leaks and the floors are gone. But it is more then solid enough for a project. Rockers are good pretty much rust free with exception of floors, left front fender and right rear fender (both of which have about a 5-6 inch long rust area above the wheel arch) I had plans to build a crawler/street rig but like i said now i have to replace the engine in the wifes car so instead of waiting another couple of months I am just going to step away from it.

It can be moved around if you fill the fluid but it comes out quick.

The only way I'd be able to grab this is by driving it home (My GF will drive my XJ) How many miles on the motor and what are the axles? Anymore detailed info? I'm quite interested in this MJ I just can't trailer it home as I don't even have a hitch. And if you can do anything to even temporarily patch the problem that'd be great. It will be a winter project. (I'll probably get 2 more jobs lol). is the driver seat able to go in? I know that's dangerous driving so far like that but as long as I can get her home.

My email is [email protected]

and dont use photobucket. Upload to http://imageshack.us/

Last edited:
the axles are 35 and 30 i think. the front seat is in. it is actually just the front of the floors on both sides drivers side the worse with there being basically no floor at all between pedals and seat. well some floor but not a lot. Will send pics asap. oh i have to take back one of the rust spots. the front fenders are good but there is a dent in the right front. no rust on either. just the rear.

also the pics show it sagging in the back but it is loaded down with an engine and trans (for the wifes car) it has not been there long so shouldnt have any affect on spring rate.

Got the pics. Lookin good. If you can please make that tranny hold its oil for 2 hours that would work out great for me.
I work 4-10 so I'll tty later.

odom says 121318. i know it works but not sure if it is right. I dont think the guy before would have had changed it as it was an older man but not sure.

pics are located here http://img197.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscf4671.jpg

5hdscf4671j
5adscf4669uj

5adscf4669uj

to be honest if i had the time to fix the leak i wouldnt sell it. I always wanted am MJ myself just no time to deal with it currently. Also the fact that i currently have a job in as a cook working 10 hours a day doesnt help. I think the best way would be to borrow a pickup or something with a hitch and ren a tow dolly ( i rented one a few months back for $40 for the day from Uhaul) It does tow good and rolls good. Wish i had a truck i could help you out.

It's all good. I will see what I can do about finding a vehicle with a hitch and rent the tow dolly from uhaul. How bad is the leak? Idk. I really do want this trust me. I'm all over it. I will most likely sell my iphone for this truck. It would just be difficult to find a truck to use and finding the extra cash for the dolly. If you can do anything to help me. Im all ears.

Let me take a look at it tomorrow. Will try and get some time and crawl under it. I just honestly wouldnt feel right about trying to limp it for 2 hours. Just trying to err on the safe side.

Thanks I do appreciate it. I just realized my girlfriends v6 1999 4runner has (what I believe) a class 2 hitch. Class 1 is the hitch you see on like Honda civics right? Because hers is definitely one size up. My neighbor is a biggie with U haul and I used to work there so I will see what I can do about renting for cheap the dolly. And I hope its compatible with class 2 and my GF's Toyota. Either way if I can drive it home I will fell much better about it. None the less that doesn't look like a lot of rust and some bondo lovin will cure that I'm sure. (I learn as I go).

the only major rust it has is the floors. not sure why. What i am thinking is that it has the rubber floor mat and maybe water just got under it and rotted it out. the floors are gone. you can see the frame rail in the drivers side, but the frame rail is fine and the rockers etc are fine. Will send you some pics tomorrow anything in particular you want a pic of?

That's fine I found a website that sells floor pans for pretty cheap. Can you tell me from this site what Is missing for the MJ? (http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_21_38) From what I saw in pictures of Comanches is the lack of a drain plug. Which sucks that's probably why so many get floor rotting issues. Slap as many pics of anything as you want. Underneath. engine interior. anything and all. I like angles :)

I'm quite excited about this!

Back