• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring, where to buy injectors?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
My stupid as$ 4.0 is misfiring like no tomorrow. I started off with a misfire in cyl 3 when I bought it and it happened every now and then. Now I get misfires randomly in all cylinders. I went wheeling yesterday and the BDS Outback Adventure and I couldn't shut off the jeep on the trail or else it would misfire really bad. I think my injectors are going south. I looked up how much they costs and $60 each!!?? That's gonna costs around $500-$600 just to replace 6 injectors and a fuel rail? WTF That's insane.

Is there any place that sells a package deal of 6 injectors at a lower price or individually cheaper?

I am almost considering selling this p.o.s. because of how unreliable this stupid motor is. Sometimes I wish I stuck with my 2.5L cuz I beat the living hell out of that thing for four years and never a single issue or leak. It was bulletproof.

Autozone has them for under $50 each, so that's only $300 total.

I was just at autozone and napa. Both quoted 6 injectors for almost $400 plus I want to place the rail. Total: $523

Do you guys think this is any good?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Jeep/Cherokee/GB/Fuel_Injector/2001/Sport/6_Cyl_4-dot-0L/CVU12-11207-6.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

I have a 2001 4.0 auto with 92k. I used to get p0303 misfire and now im getting misfire codes from cyl 1-4 randomly. I cannot shut off the jeep and restart it without a misfire now. When I leave it sit over night, it has a rough idle when it's started up in the morning. This sorta points to leaking injectors.

So instead of guessing what have you done to diagnose the issue?

look here for some ideas. it only took a couple seconds to find this on yahoo.....
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0303

small section from that page..
A code P0303 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty spark plug or wire
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Running out of fuel
  • Poor compression
  • Defective computer

So instead of guessing what have you done to diagnose the issue?

look here for some ideas. it only took a couple seconds to find this on yahoo.....
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0303

small section from that page..
A code P0303 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Faulty spark plug or wire
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Running out of fuel
  • Poor compression
  • Defective computer

Thanks for all those possible culprits.

• Faulty spark plug or wire (just changed all plugs two weeks ago)
  • Faulty coil (pack) (could be but dunno how to check this)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s) (have to test these)
  • Faulty fuel injector (my guess)
  • Burned exhaust valve (??)
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s) (my cat's fine)
  • Running out of fuel (never ran out of fuel)
  • Poor compression (compression numbers came back good according to mechanic)
  • Defective computer (not sure)
I guess I gotta check up on all this but not sure how to do it all. I spend 90% of my time under the jeep and rarely ever do any motor work so this is not my strong suit.

Based on years of experience, I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel before buying injectors. Accept no substitute. It is used almost exclusively by professionals. I have run a can through every vehicle I own every 10k miles for 30 years. It isn't cheap. It runs around $20 a can. NAPA normally carries it.

For example, when I built my stroker I purchased used fomoco high performance injectors. It ran like crap, just like you describe. I put in a can at the gas station and before I got the 10 miles back home, it was purring like a kitten. The stuf is as close to magic in a bottle as it gets. It also cleans carbon from the combustion chambers and valves.

Based on years of experience, I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel before buying injectors. Accept no substitute. It is used almost exclusively by professionals. I have run a can through every vehicle I own every 10k miles for 30 years. It isn't cheap. It runs around $20 a can. NAPA normally carries it.

For example, when I built my stroker I purchased used fomoco high performance injectors. It ran like crap, just like you describe. I put in a can at the gas station and before I got the 10 miles back home, it was purring like a kitten. The stuf is as close to magic in a bottle as it gets. It also cleans carbon from the combustion chambers and valves.

I run seafoam through the gas and TB at every oil change. Isn't that enough? I'm really low on $$ and can't really afford to spend $$ on trying different products ya know? Is it anything like seafoam?

I wouln't think all 6 injectors would all go bad at the same time.Napa in my area has a fuell injector flow bench it cleans them and make sure they are working right.

Do a search on "heat soak".

Factory fix is, IMHO, a joke at best.

Try this--get it hot, then shut off the engine and immediately open the hood. Wait 20-30 minutes and restart.

If the problem is less severe I recommend you add a delay timer to the efan circuit that will let the efan run for 3-5 minutes after shutdown. Timer link:

http://www.at-fairfax.com/P1786-ELK-960.htm

If you end up replacing them all, junkyard it instead of buying new - will cost you many times less.

Also, I'd bet on distributor/coil over injectors for such a widespread problem - and how long has it been since you did your plugs? Plugs are easy (the back two are the worst, make sure you don't break your heater control valve trying to get to the second from the back, they're not really that bad though) and at a buck fifty each, you might as well just change em if it's been 30k+ miles since you did it.

Personally, I don't think Seafoam is in the same league as BG44k

I replaced my plugs with champions three weeks ago.

I've researched heat soak numerous times on different forums. I went to the dealer to be sure the fixes were done to that jeep and they were. The heat shield looks stupid imo. I don't see how that would work much at all.

Jeep ride, I will take the injectors in to Napa. Does this flow bench test for leaking injectors or just the flow?

I've researched heat soak numerous times on different forums. I went to the dealer to be sure the fixes were done to that jeep and they were. The heat shield looks stupid imo. I don't see how that would work much at all.

So try the hood test. The price is right.

Also, weren't NGKs recommended for the late models??

For your 01, the "coil pack" is that rail that rides over the spark plugs. No distributor or ignition/plug wires. Did you replace that?

How's your fuel pressure at the rail? There is a port on the side of it for you to check.

EDIT:

http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=2

I believe these are the ones we'd want for our 00-01 engines...someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm about to buy a set! :D

For your 01, the "coil pack" is that rail that rides over the spark plugs. No distributor or ignition/plug wires. Did you replace that?

How's your fuel pressure at the rail? There is a port on the side of it for you to check.

EDIT:

http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=2

I believe these are the ones we'd want for our 00-01 engines...someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm about to buy a set! :D

That looks like a better deal if it's a set of 8. Can you verify that these work with our 00-01's?

expecting 6 fuel injectors to run for 150+k miles, and still flow ABOUT the same ammount as the other 5 injectors, is INSANE.

theres ebay retailers that flow match everything they ship, i think its a great idea for any old motor.

gotta keep all 6 cylenders getting as close to the same ammount of fuel as possible.

Back