NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 11th, 2009, 14:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiler View Post
-Speedometer housing / tailcone. TJ 241 has an electronic Speedometer in the tailcone, whereas the JK 241 has something else
I know the JK uses a wheel speed sensor on the front axle. I also have a JK 241 case (non 4:1), and it will bolt right up to an XJ with no issues other than having no speedometer. Its basically a really beefy 231, with no speedo drive. The JK Rubicon 241 (with the 4:1) will work just the same as the TJ 241 in an XJ, except you wont have a speedo. The yokes interchange between the two as well.

Good write up on the 2 Lo kit, I may have to look into it the next time my tcase comes out (which I hope is no time soon...)

~James

Last edited by stumpXJ; September 11th, 2009 at 14:23.
Old September 11th, 2009, 20:14
NAXJA Forum User

Great write up,let us know how it comes out!Also curious if this could work for the early cases?
Old September 11th, 2009, 20:53
NAXJA Member #15

When a trail is really steep, long, and really rocky, like most in CO, 2WD lo is the ticket. 4WD bounces one around twice as much, and generally isn't really needed, just the low range.

I only paid 1800 for my 241J from J+B conversions, lo these many years ago. Got the speedo connector from a Dodge dealer for 22, but he had to special order it. For the wheeling I do, it hasn't been especially a good investment. Sometimes it helps following someone with an auto, I drive a stick. It's good for pulling out fence posts, though.

Fred
Old September 12th, 2009, 16:59
NAXJA Member

Part 3

In the process of installing my 2-low, I wanted to determine whether the speedo connector on the Jeep, and the one on the T-case would fit together without any issues. I still had the tailcone removed from the 241, so I walked it over to the Jeep and gave it a go. Nope. No luck. I snapped a few pictures of the different connectors.

T-case:

Jeep:

Well crud. At this point, I was under the impression I was almost done, and the 241 was almost ready to be mated with the transmission. I could cut the two connectors off, and solder the wires together? No, I want to be able to disconnect the two if I have to drop the T-case again.

I started looking around for a simple solution, but not too many presented themselves. By sheer accident, I stumbled upon a fitting on Teraflexís website.

Link to product: http://www.teraflex.biz/products/con...ess-older.html

They make a female connector that works in conjunction with their ESS kit, for later model TJís. By looking at the picture, it appeared as though it would also connect to my 241 as well. Hell, for $13.99, it wasnít going to hurt to try it out.

Fits perfect with the T-case. Nice and snug. Cool, onto the wiring.

The 3 wires on my Jeep are:
Violet/Orange: +5V
Black/Yellow: Sensor Ground
White/Orange: Speed Sensor Signal

Compared to the 3 on the new connector:
Brown: +5V
Blue: Sensor Ground
Black: Speed Sensor Signal

With all my bases covered, the T-case was finally ready to be installed. It went up just fine, a tad heavier than what Iím used to. No issues with fitting into the transmission tunnel, although it does sit very close to the tunnel. I did have an issue with my transmission mount. The plate present between the transmission, and the actual rubber mount has a lip on the edge, and contacts part of the T-case. Quick fix:

That takes care of the physical install into the vehicle.

The Novak install was pretty self-explanatory. I still snapped a few pictures of all that too. Thatíll be coming up a little later as well.

Scott
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:46
NAXJA Member

Part 4

This should sum up the install. The only item left to install was my Novak Shifter Assembly.

And the best part of it all:

Removal of the stock Z-gate assembly wasnít difficult. Only tedious part I could have dealt without was pulling up the carpet in front of the driverís seat to access the 4 bolts holding the linkageís body floor plate. Novak supplies very detailed instructions with their kit, making install a breeze. I ran into one complication with mine. Teraflex supplies you with a new shift lever for their 2-low, which moves the point where the linkage connects, closer to the body of the case. This prevented the Novak Assembly from installing on the inside of the shift lever, per the instructions. Unfortunetly, the cableís bearing end binds, prohibiting lever movement. I moved mine to the other side, which works fine. Shifting is still 100% better. I need to tweak / adjust the linkage further, but for the time being itís ok.

You can see what Iím referring to in this first image:

After a few test drives, Iíve came to the conclusion my speedometer reads ~15% faster than what Iím actually going. I used my GPS to assist with finding actual speed. I have 4.88 gears, and 35 x 12.50 R 15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

Again, with my rig being a daily driver, I want to know exactly how fast Iím going. I decided to order Superliftís Truspeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator. Itís not cheap.

Iíll give yaíll a heads up on how that works, when I receive the unit and install it.

Thanks for looking!

Scott
Old October 3rd, 2009, 15:03
NAXJA Member

Part 5

I received my Superlift Truspeed unit a few days ago. I installed the device yesterday, and wanted to provide an update.

Overall, the unit seems decent. From what I can tell, itís a sealed plastic box with 4 wires coming through the side. 4 screws hold the two halves together. I imagine removing the sticker and the 4 screws would void the warranty, so no inside images. Final hit was a little over $200.

I wanted to mount it somewhere where I could easily access it, I could keep it away from weather, and somewhere close to the front, so I would not have to run additional wiring. I chose to place it inside the panel underneath the steering wheel. This would allow me to mount my + / - somewhere behind the dash. Also, the wire I need to splice into could easily be accessed through the firewall, and into the engine bay.

My 1997 XJís wire that runs from the sensor is WT/OR (White with an orange stripe). Knowing this wire routes to the PCM, and comes from the T-case; I was able to find the correct wire loom. You can see it in this image, to the left of my Viair compressor - The medium-sized loom, of the three present, with the split I made in it.

Cut, splice, solder, heat shrink wrap and tuck back in. For those who donít know anything about this unit - the signal routes from the T-case into the Truspeed Recalibrator, out and back into the PCM. The green wire is the input from the sensor, and the yellow is the output to the PCM. Here it is all velcroed, cleaned up and what not.

Itís really easy to adjust. I was able to determine my speedometer reading incorrectly by 15%. A quick few turns with the adjustment screw and it was back to normal. GPS and vehicle with correct speedometer reading comparisons prove my Jeep is now accurate.

Scott
Old March 21st, 2010, 16:42
NAXJA Member #887

Quote:
Part 3
Just an update.

The newer Jeep Cherokees have this same plug 2wd and 4wd. I think I got mine off a 2000 in order to swap the 241OR into my 94 XJ.

94 Cherokee wire colors:
Orange -------- +5v
Black/Blue ----- Sensor Ground
White/Orange -- Speed Sensor Signal

00 Cherokee wire colors:
Violet/Orange --- +5v
Brown/Yellow --- Sensor Ground
White/Orange --- Speed Sensor Signal

NV241OR Speed Sensor wire colors:
Red ----------- +5v
Black --------- Sensor Ground
Tan ---------- Speed Sensor Signal
Old March 21st, 2010, 18:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Just an update.

The newer Jeep Cherokees have this same plug 2wd and 4wd. I think I got mine off a 2000 in order to swap the 241OR into my 94 XJ.

94 Cherokee wire colors:
Orange -------- +5v
Black/Blue ----- Sensor Ground
White/Orange -- Speed Sensor Signal

00 Cherokee wire colors:
Violet/Orange --- +5v
Brown/Yellow --- Sensor Ground
White/Orange --- Speed Sensor Signal

NV241OR Speed Sensor wire colors:
Red ----------- +5v
Black --------- Sensor Ground
Tan ---------- Speed Sensor Signal
Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Scott
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:54
NAXJA Forum User

this is a great writeup! my 4:1 in the 231 has bit the dust and a guy on the trail had just pulled his 241or outta his jk (to put in an atlas behind his hemi, rough life) so i now have a 241or with only 4k miles. i got really excited when i found out its gunna be a direct bolt in, and how much stronger it is then the 231 (i loved my 4:1 so much, but keep hearing of them not lasting long, i got mine used and lasted me a year of good abuse)

question is, can i fix the speedo problem? because its now sounding like a rather large problem...
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
this is a great writeup! my 4:1 in the 231 has bit the dust and a guy on the trail had just pulled his 241or outta his jk (to put in an atlas behind his hemi, rough life) so i now have a 241or with only 4k miles. i got really excited when i found out its gunna be a direct bolt in, and how much stronger it is then the 231 (i loved my 4:1 so much, but keep hearing of them not lasting long, i got mine used and lasted me a year of good abuse)

question is, can i fix the speedo problem? because its now sounding like a rather large problem...
Need more info on your Jeep. Year, tranny etc?

Scott
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post

I don't think the 241OR from a JK will work in an XJ with a 4.0L. Hopefully that is not what you have.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:14
NAXJA Forum User

I believe the 241s out of the JKs are the same, except they don't have a VSS.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I don't think the 241OR from a JK will work in an XJ with a 4.0L. Hopefully that is not what you have.
Actually, yes they will. See below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpXJ View Post
I know the JK uses a wheel speed sensor on the front axle. I also have a JK 241 case (non 4:1), and it will bolt right up to an XJ with no issues other than having no speedometer. Its basically a really beefy 231, with no speedo drive. The JK Rubicon 241 (with the 4:1) will work just the same as the TJ 241 in an XJ, except you wont have a speedo.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:30
NAXJA Forum User

Does the Standard Speedo gear not work to correct the speedometer?
Old April 5th, 2010, 16:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Need more info on your Jeep. Year, tranny etc?

Scott
Oh sorry... shes a 98, 4litre, aw4.

i know there is no vss, but are there any other options to get my speedo working?