• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's track bar hits oil pan!!!

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
I will never buy another product from these hill billy hacks!!! I bought it used so I can't complain to them. First the rod end doesn't fit far enough into the track bar mount to get the cotter pin in. And the rod end is starting to bend and I've only taken one mild trip to the dunes on it.

AND NOW, I just noticed that it is hitting the oil pan on compression. What else can go wrong with one product!! Anyone else have problems with it hitting the pan?? Did you do anything to correct it?? BTW, I'm running 6" of lift.

if your track bar, any track bar, is hitting the oil pan, you might want to think of bump stops. Sense you say your in the dunes, I am guessing the jeep is getting jumped.

I have the HD setup, and its off right now whie the stock one keeps my rig on the road.
mine bent the same way yours seems to be, call him now so he'll send you a new one ASAP... if it hasn't broken by them time you get your new one I'd be surprised. On that if you can take it off I would, if its bending than it will break, no doubt, better you have it off the road, or replaced before it breaks down while your wheeling or worse driving on the road.

i have a rusty's trac bar and i regret buying it. they sent me the wrong size and so my axle is a little off to the right side (i guess i will have to get a bigger lift oh darn) and it hits the dif cover. i called them all throughout the summer and every time they said they would send me another one no charge that would fit and i would be able to send the one i have back but i still have never gotten the one they promised. i have never had any trouble with it hitting the oil pan though

hitting the oil pan? that's really weird. i had some issues with my rusty's hd track bar set-up. bent/broke the short upper end twice :rolleyes: etc, etc. but even jumping the xj in the desert with improper bumpstopping, the end of my steering damper bolt hit the oil pain before the track bar came anywhere near it. this is with 4" of lift.....

i went out and looked at mine. i don't see how that could happen unless maybe the bar is way too long for the amount of lift you're running, and it's sitting in there all cockeyed. maybe post a couple pics?

rocklandxjer said:
ya bought it used. dont blame rustys.

i suppose you would boycott ford if you bought a used bronco from some guy and it kept breaking down?

I'm pretty sure that a trac-bar and a Bronco are two different things there chooch... and who are you to stick up for Rustys?

trust me on this, rustys tracbar is the biggest piece of sh!t you can buy...mine is fawked and its been on for 3500 highway miles, hasnt been wheeling once...it comes loose and knocks and screws ur steering up to holy hell...i do tons of highway driving and when my rustys tracbar decides to get a little squirmy I feel like I might die...

he sent me miss matched leafs and coils, ONE adj LCA and charged me for two and wont return my emails or calls for a refund or another lca...and my frickin rear leaf is bent... my shocks were rotting because someone decided to put my boots on over the shock body and whatever fluid got in there ate away at it...THEY DONT EVEN GO ON THE BODY!!!! you'd think they'd know that at an offroad parts dealer

im not defending them (though i could if i wanted to as i have bought most of what i have through them and am satisfied with almost everything)

i was just saying that he bought a used part and blames the company...

actually, my trac bar broke the first time too. but i called and they sent me a new one, free of charge.

damn... that sounds like a terrible dealing with them. every time i call i get great customer service, and every time i order my stuff comes in perfect shape and fully in tact...

and its not really necessary to compare apples to apples in this case. i was just saying that if you buy a used part, dont blame the dealer if its in bad shape...

i'd take the track bar over a ford....

rocklandxjer said:
im not defending them (though i could if i wanted to as i have bought most of what i have through them and am satisfied with almost everything)

i was just saying that he bought a used part and blames the company...

actually, my trac bar broke the first time too. but i called and they sent me a new one, free of charge.

damn... that sounds like a terrible dealing with them. every time i call i get great customer service, and every time i order my stuff comes in perfect shape and fully in tact...

and its not really necessary to compare apples to apples in this case. i was just saying that if you buy a used part, dont blame the dealer if its in bad shape...

Ha funny that you said your original broke too and then go to say you can't blame Rusty's for buying a bad used one....seems to me that it doesn't matter whether its new or used it still sucks!!!
I also bought a bunch of stuff from them and I hate them now.. they put me at risk with there "trail proven offroad product" and my frickin jeep hasnt even seen the trail in months, in the 150 miles of driving I do a day almost 5 days a week i have had more scares with that trac bar then anything else...to the point where i'm not sure if its coming out on the next "rhody pothole" I hit
I'm switching my stuff out for other companies and its sad that every other company has great customer service compared...I kno every company has their times of shitty customer service but he could atleast be a man and say he f**ked up and send me my money back so he can have the half parts he sent me...

Not jumping, probably never will. Tracbar sits just like it is designed too (not that that means it is right ;) ). It is just designed with to drastic of a bend, it should come of the frame mount at an angle, not straight out, then down.

And yes I can blame Rusty's for a bad design, just because I bought it used doesn't mean it was designed correctly in the first place. BTW, it was used, but just installed and removed, the guy never even drove the rig. He tried to use in on an Explorer with a SAS swap, but it didn't work.

in your case, with all that went wrong with your order, id say i couldnt disagree with you.

i was just saying you cant say youll never buy from a company because a used part is beginning to fail...

There may be some truth to the trac bar being crappy. but like i said, now that I got the new one, its been fine for over a year...

from what ive heard, yes, rustys seems to be a kinda 50-50 company. that is a very un-satisfactory rating for a national company, so i cant tell people that they should buy from them. i just feel that one shouldnt exclude them because of what others say happened once, and because of a broken used part.

ive said it before, no one really posts up about GOOD dealings with companies.

i myself have never had a bad CUSTOMER SERVICE circumstance with rustys. the only thing that has gone wrong was the trac bar, and thats corrected.

and shipping too, many people say that the shipping sucks. i just ordered ~1000 bucks of stuff and it came within 4days...

EDIT: instead of saying you CANT say youll never buy...
i change it too, its kind of dumb

but now i see that it was a like new part. how well do you know the guy? if its well, ask him to send it back and get a new one...

rocklandxjer said:

every time i order my stuff comes in perfect shape and fully in tact
So it got to you in "perfect shape" but then broke afterward? With a critical piece of the front suspension like the trackbar, I don't care that the manufacturer is so happy to send a replacement...I'd rather know that the piece wouldn't break in the first place. Reports of Rusty's junk being junk are rampant - his trackbar is better known for breaking at critical junctures than for it's robustness.

I'd recommend RE or T+T with a frame brace. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re1670.html

despite fear of being called a hypocrite, i will say that the only part i would agree with you guys about IS the trac bar. i was a bit skeptical to even install the second one, mostly because the brand new one broke, but it was free, so i did it, and the second one has held up to alot, so i dont know...

Ive herd VERY good things about the RE trac bar.. very beefy. i thought i heard that it hits the diff also though? maybe not

well rocklander all im going to say to you is if you hear nay clunking or weird feeling in your steering do not let it go for a f**king second..its going to be that sh!!ty ass trac-bar and you dont want to let that noise go because it could be seriously fouled up...please heed my safety precaution... your steering is to important to have "50-50" part in it so just go easy

Andrew

I agree totally, and am grateful for your concern, even if its for my rig:)

i think i will stick with it for now though, its held up and i check it for play and possible problems pretty regularly as i am constantly under the old girl (as im sure most of us are) so far it looks good.

that's too funny, as soon as some mentions a rusty's product in any thread it turns into.....well, this. might as well go with it i guess. i myself have had absolutely no problems with my orders themselves or the customer service. i am getting a little tired of driving home from offroading with my steering/front end all out of whack because the damn tb bent or or broke again. next time it happens i'm getting the kevinsoffroad/jks bar, seen it in person and it was really nice looking. my .02

Back