NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:26
NAXJA Forum User

WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some reading on upgrading my 2001 XJ's front brakes to the WJ calipers and rotors and found quite a few resources, a couple of which I'll share below:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...nuckles+rotors
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/

Now, I've been mulling this over and the following seems to be true:
  1. In early (pre-97) models, a brake booster upgrade is pretty much required. Everything I've seen has indicated the WJ dual-diaphragm booster is recommended, however, I already have a dual-diaphragm booster in my 01. I assume I can skip this?
  2. The article linked above (on 4x4wire) seems to go through a lot of seemingly unnecessary work modifying TJ hubs and bearings to work on the WJ knuckles. Interestingly enough, I found spacers from JKS to allow one to use the stock XJ bearings/hubs:

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/flan...er-p-4489.html

Will these spacers allow me to avoid dicking with aftermarket/non-XJ hubs?
  3. I assume that no matter what, I'll need to buy a set of WJ rotors and have them re-drilled for the 5 x 4.5" pattern of the XJ. Is this correct?
I'm hoping to simplify this conversion as much as possible and write a comprehensive guide regarding how to perform it on 97+ XJs. If my theories and what I've read are correct, I'm guessing the following will ultimately be required:
  1. Buy WJ steering knuckles, calipers, rotors, and ball joints (and maybe tie rod/tracking bar?), as well as the aforementioned JKS spacers.
  2. Install the ball joints on my bare XJ front axle.
  3. Install the JKS spacers into my stock hub/bearing assemblies.
  4. Re-drill rotors to fit XJ hub bolt pattern.
  5. Assemble everything as needed.
  6. Upgrade to 16"+ wheels?
I'd love any clarification anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by anthrax323; August 11th, 2009 at 07:29.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:34
NAXJA XXXXX Abuser

Re: WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax323 View Post
  1. In early (pre-97) models, a brake booster upgrade is pretty much required. Everything I've seen has indicated the WJ dual-diaphragm booster is recommended, however, I already have a dual-diaphragm booster in my 01. I assume I can skip this?

1995 and newer have the Dual Diaphragm Brake booster...
just a heads up..
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:37
NAXJA Member # 1524

Another heads-up, the WJ booster is not angled up, like the '01 XJ booster, when bolted to the firewall.
Since you have a dual-diaphragm booster already, you don't need to change.
Also, if you need to change-out your MC for a bigger bore (ONLY because you increased caliper piston bore sizes), the '01 Cherokee allows for more MC choices than the WJ booster.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome, this is some great info, thanks guys!

xjbubba - With regard to the master cylinder, is it feasible that I can get away with the stock one or would it be wise to consider a WJ model at that time? Additionally, will the proportioning valve need to be replaced/modified in either case?
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:35
NAXJA Member # 1371

I am sitting on both a set of akebono and set of teeves knuckles along with the wj steering gear to do the swap. If your serious I will sell you the teeves knuckels.

John
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosigma View Post
I am sitting on both a set of akebono and set of teeves knuckles along with the wj steering gear to do the swap. If your serious I will sell you the teeves knuckels.

John
Just the knuckles, or calipers and all? Additionally, aren't the Akebono components "preferable" over the Teeves parts (i.e. 03+)?
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:33
Water is dirty

Quote:

John
There isn't any difference between the knuckles themselves. When we did the 'swap' on our WJ we just picked up the Akebono calipers and bolted them on, which is actually the TSB for rotor warpage from Chrysler. Same rotors, even, between the Teeves and Akebono. And for the guy above me here, the Akebono are preferred over the Teeves. I wish I had taken photos, but the Akebonos are gigantic compared to the Teeves, with quite a bit more surface area on the pads.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

Is it possible to use 5x4.5 Ford Explorer disks in conjunction with the WJ rotors/knuckles? I'm guessing that the offset is all wrong...
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

I've read the Explorer sport trac discs can be used. I just redrilled the WJ rotors when I did my swap
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax323 View Post

1. Buy WJ steering knuckles, calipers, rotors, and ball joints (and maybe tie rod/tracking bar?), as well as the aforementioned JKS spacers.
  2. Install the ball joints on my bare XJ front axle.
  3. Install the JKS spacers into my stock hub/bearing assemblies.
  4. Re-drill rotors to fit XJ hub bolt pattern.
  5. Assemble everything as needed.
  6. Upgrade to 16"+ wheels?
I'd love any clarification anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!
-Lower WJ balljoints, XJ uppers.
-1/4" JKS spacers get welded to the WJ knuckles, not to the hub assembly
-Use 2002 Ford Explorer Sport track rotors, they are already 5x4.5. I made the offset work. If you do this, you'll need to shave a bit off the outer diameter of the hub flanges to get them to fit inside the rotors. You might need to space out the calipers a bit to get them to line up with the rotors. Some people say don't use spacers (washers) others, including myslef, are using them with no issue.
-I did not need to upgrade to 16" wheels. You should be able to shave a bit off the calipers if need be. Mine cleared fine though. (cragar 15" wheels with 3.75" backspacing).

Go with Akenobo calipers.

I did things a bit differently, but in hindsight, the easiest way for the other parts would be to get the JKS stuff. Get the WJ tie rod ends. Get the JKS tie rod that works with them. As for the track bar, use the JKS axle side relocation bracket they sell. The upper mount and the track bar itslef is kind of up to you.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:58
NAXJA Member # 1371

I don't want to spread false info so when I get back to DC I will double check and post pics of the knuckles to verifyor disprove the claim of seperate castings.

John
Old August 11th, 2009, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

Instead of spacing out the caliper bracket or using the Sport Trac rotors, you can use pre-90 unit bearings and still be able to use the stock WJ rotors and caliper brackets.

IF you use the current wheel bearing from you '01, you'll have to do the caliper bracket spacer or the Sport Trac rotors.
Old August 11th, 2009, 13:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I don't want to spread false info so when I get back to DC I will double check and post pics of the knuckles to verifyor disprove the claim of seperate castings.

John
Knuckles are the same, the caliper brackets are different. Check www.rockauto.com and look at the pics between the two.
Old August 11th, 2009, 14:03
Water is dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanMan View Post
Knuckles are the same, the caliper brackets are different. Check www.rockauto.com and look at the pics between the two.
Indeedy.

From wjjeeps.com:

Quote:
1. Original (from 1999 model production through May 10, 2002 (Teves, black color with open-sided bracket)

P/N 5011973AA Left front caliper MSRP: $141.00
P/N 5011972AA Right front caliper MSRP: $141.00
P/N 5018592AA Pad kit, front MSRP: $177.00
P/N 52098672 Rotor, front MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

2. New (from May 11, 2002 production onward: (Akebono, silver color "fully closed" style)

P/N 5093181AA Left front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
P/N 5093180AA Right front caliper (all-new) MSRP: $140.00
P/N 5093183AA Pad kit, front (revised) MSRP: $ 177.00
P/N 52098672 Rotor, front (unchanged) MSRP: $ 65.10 (each)

3. New kit package (fits all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees)

P/N 05093174AA Front caliper & pad kit package - (Includes left P/N 5093181AA and right P/N 5093180AA Akebono "fully closed" style calipers, revised P/N 5093183AA brake pads, P/N 5012437AA attachment bolts, and P/N 6035832 banjo sealing washers). MSRP $309.00
Old August 11th, 2009, 14:05
Water is dirty

Here's a (crappy) pic of the two caliper brackets next to each other. Akebono on the left.