• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

jbsjunk

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'd say I'm new here, but I registered a couple years ago and a few months later the server here crashed losing my membership leaving me to troll here again. I'm back. :wierd:

My current project is a primo (for Michigan) one owner 86 XJ that I got for $100 as a roller. Since there was no engine (was a 2.8, auto) trans or t-case, I decided to use what I had. So I built/modded my mounts for a small block Chevy, 700R4 and 207 case those coming from a S-10. The engine is a mild 305 for now and in the future something bigger/better will go in once I figure out what diffs I want to run later. This will mainly be a driver, but will see some off-road action once in a while.

As it currently sits, I'm waiting on the exhaust and driveshafts and a couple small things to finish it. Been tinkering with it for the last 2 years or so now.

Ok, here are the pics, oldest to current with comments.

Img_0235.jpg

Img_0232.jpg

Img_0234.jpg

The mock up engine.

Img_0230.jpg

Img_0231.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

The rad.

Picture011.jpg

Lokar linkage to run the stock floor shifter to my trans.

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

Modded t-case shift linkage, works like a charm. Definatly butch.

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

I didn't like the stock battery position, so I changed that. See wacha think. I made all the hold down mounts to secure it all too.

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

No biggie for tire clearance issues.

DSC00928.jpg

Coil spacers and shackles to give me about 2" lift. I'll go bigger at some point, but this is a start.

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

S-10 washer bottle, fits better than the stocker.

DSC00942.jpg

Wiring end of things, also note the GM wind up under hood light by the blower motor.

DSC00941.jpg

Rad baffles.

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Relays and aux fuse box.

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

Added switches for back up lights and the rad fan.

DSC00989.jpg

As it currently sits with 235-75-15 tires and the small lift. Washed too. :D

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

Not too bad if I say so myself.

Nice engine... been thinkin about dropping a 305 myself. Won't be anytime soon, but it'd be cool.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Nice. Especially with the V6 sleeper badge. Now you know that the 383 stroker will fit :D

I de-badged the gate and the 4x4 emblems on the back quarters a couple weeks ago. Cleaned the back end up nicely.

No comment on the bowtie above the grille?

No comment on the bowtie above the grille?
We try not to comment on obvious bad taste,...

:laugh2:

Nice clean swap. Welcome to the club:wave1:

Very nice! Any vids of it running? Almost looks factory.

No vids yet. I ran the engine on my cart but not in the Jeep yet, although it won't take anything to run it. But with no exhaust or driveshafts I'll wait till it's ready. Shafts will come first so I know where to build the exhaust for clearance issues.

As for looking factory, thanks. That was my intention. Also makes for getting anything if something broke easier. :worship: I had a Mopar air cleaner on it before, but it didn't clear the hood. Had one guy see that and ask if it was a 318 or 360. Laughed and told him it was a Chevy.

Really debating on losing the rams horns and getting block hugger headers because the rams horns are very close to the valve covers (stack a couple credit cards and you'll get the picture) and don't want to cook the gaskets. We'll see, maybe I can find another factory manifold that clears and won't be too much of a restriction.

looks good! i did notice the bowtie on there... i figured you were going to keep both badgings just to confuse people

Nice clean install. It fits much better than I thought it would and has a little room to spare.

What kind of issues are you going to run into with the driveshafts and exhaust? Any?

Nice way to shit on this guys pride there bucko.

Thanks. The clueless have no idea what some engines can do. They repeat what they've heard. :moon:

Driveshafts won't be a big deal. The rear will get cut down and I'll end up using a Cherokee front shaft because the S-10 shaft I have won't be happy up front, it's a 2 joint shaft. I just need to change the output yoke for the front so the XJ shaft is viable. As for the exhaust, there won't be any problems. The drivers pipe will cross over to the pass side and join with the pass into one pipe (maybe) to the muffler(s) and tailpipe(s). I have everything planned out, we'll see if the plan holds water.

Thanks. The clueless have no idea what some engines can do. They repeat what they've heard.
Give the clueless a break. People knock all the 5-liters because they only remember the late '70 low compression motors(which did suck pretty bad)
for a small block Chevy, 700R4 and 207 case those coming from a S-10. The engine is a mild 305 for now and in the future something bigger/better will go in once I figure out what diffs I want to run later.
What year 305 is that? Looks like a decent intake and 4bbl(hopefully not a thermoquad:D)
One good thing about that install, it gets the alternator up away from the mud!
Check around, I think you can almost direct swap a NP-231 in place of the 207(207 had kind of a bad rep in the XJ)
One of those radiator baffles is just begging for a transmission cooler.

Give the clueless a break. People knock all the 5-liters because they only remember the late '70 low compression motors(which did suck pretty bad)
What year 305 is that? Looks like a decent intake and 4bbl(hopefully not a thermoquad:D)
One good thing about that install, it gets the alternator up away from the mud!
Check around, I think you can almost direct swap a NP-231 in place of the 207(207 had kind of a bad rep in the XJ)
One of those radiator baffles is just begging for a transmission cooler.

If memory serves, most engines sucked in the late 70's.

The engine came from a 88 Trans Am/Firebird. The intake is a Edelbrock that is made for the 86 up heads and there is a 600 Holley under the lid. The trans did have a 231 on it, but a friend needed one and I had a couple 207 S-10 t-cases so no biggie.

Heh, there is a big B@M plate cooler in front of the rad.

Back