• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest '07 schedule and directions....Aug 5-12

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Here's an update on the upcoming Sierra Fest trip. We'll run Dusy-Ershim Trail during the week and the annual Swamp Lake trip on the weekend. The schedule is to run Blue Canyon on Sunday Aug 5th, then run Dusy Mon-Thurs, Aug 6-9. Fri and Sat, Aug 10-11 we'll run Swamp Lake Trail, and Sunday we'll run Bald Mtn Trail. The Dusy trip will be 3 nights camping on the trail, and the Swamp Lake trip will be one night camping on the trail. All other nights we'll be staying at base camp at Dinkey Creek (directions are posted below). Runs will leave from either base camp or the Dinkey Creek Ranger station at 8:30 am.

There will be a raffle Sat night, Aug 11, in base camp, and we'll be serving burgers and hot links for dinner. Dinner will be $6 per person. We'll also do our traditional pot luck dinner Friday night at Grouse Lake on the Swamp trip. Camping along both trails will be at beautiful lakes, so you can fish, boat or swim as well as hike around or just sit and visit. Please post up if you are coming, and how many in your group, so we know how much food to get for Sat night.

Bring some firewood if you can, we can always use it. Since the camping destinations on these trails are popular, there isn't always much wood around there, and we can use some firewood at base camp.

The best place to gas up is in Prather, which is on Hwy 168 at the bottom of the big grade. There is also a Texaco station at the top of the big grade, but it closes early, like around 8:00 pm, so it's not good to count on it unless you're early. There is gas at the Dinkey Creek store, but it's expensive, and best used only for emergencies. There are also showers at the store. For those running Dusy, you'll come back through the town of Shaver Lake where there is gas and groceries, so you can re-stock before running Swamp.

It's best to use block ice, then fill in with crushed. If you keep your ice chest closed as much as possible, and drain the water off once or twice a day, the block ice can last most of the week. The Dinkey Creek store sells ice, so you can top off if you need to.

Here are directions. Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off of either Hwy 180 if coming from the north or Hwy 41 if coming from the south, check your map or Mapquest so you can see your route depending on which direction you're coming from. So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 12 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot. We'll try to have someone monitoring CB channel 4 if you get close and have trouple finding us. The camping is in the trees, but there is enough open space for trailers if needed. There is an outhouse down the road a short ways, and at the ranger station, and showers at the Dinkey Creek store.

This is always a great trip, hope to see you there, and please be sure to post up if you are going so we can get a head count for the food.

I am going to try to come up saturday the 4th due to it being a 5 hour drive for me. I'll be staying the entire week. I will have no passengers.

Last edited:
Me and my buddy Aaron (DSXJ) will be coming up early Thursday morning. Leaving the bay area before 6am. From what I have read you will be coming back from Dusy on that day.

Will there be other folks at the camp ground while you are out?

Lookin forward to this trip...

SharkXJ said:
Me and my buddy Aaron (DSXJ) will be coming up early Thursday morning. Leaving the bay area before 6am. From what I have read you will be coming back from Dusy on that day.

Will there be other folks at the camp ground while you are out?

The Dusy gang will likely be back to camp mid to late afternoon. If you'll be arriving Thurs morning you'll likely be the first ones to camp. Let's see what develops.

Ardis and I will be there for the week, but I may not run Dusy. We should be at camp or running around in the area.

Gray and Black pop up trailer.

--ron

What is the rig recommendations/requirements for Dusy-Ershim trail.

Since I am solo with a kid, I am going to have to start hooking up on group runs, but I don't think I will be ready by then.

bl87xj said:
What is the rig recommendations/requirements for Dusy-Ershim trail.

Since I am solo with a kid, I am going to have to start hooking up on group runs, but I don't think I will be ready by then.

Good 31" tires, rocker guards, 1 locker, GREAT tow points front and rear, spare parts, and a rig that does not seem questionable before you leave your driveway. The Dusy is known for finding the weak link in your system. Not because it's grnarly hard, but because its long and batters your rig. Make sure you have spares for stuff that is prone to break, like shafts and steering.

I will be doing a "tech inspection" Monday morning before we leave base camp. I at least want to know what each rig has and does not have.

Matt

Ok, I really want to go on some trails with you guys, I'm on vacation during all of this, just not sure if my rig is ready? I haven't had the chance to get my rock rails yet. I have a hitch in back, I could put on some tow hooks in front. I think, maybe next year I would try Dusy and Swamp after I get some rock rails and bumpers and more experince on other trails.

Do I need rock rails for every trail or would I be good on some? Right now I got 33" tires, tnt 5.5" lift, U-turn crossover steering, steering box brace, heavy duty steering shaft, lockers, d30, d44.

Sorry, for the newbie questions. I really need to get around some people with experince on trails. So, let me know which trails I could run as is. :wave: Thanks,

Rick

I should be there with my 2 daughters and we're planning on being there for the whole week but will be driving up on Sunday. So we'll miss Blue Canyon. My only concern I have right now is lack of spare d30 shafts(non-disco). Since I'm open up front I think I should be able to get by w/a couple of spare u-joints. (yes-no?) If Dusy isn't a good idea, I can always enjoy Red/Coyote Lakes and my inflateable boat for a couple of days!!!:D

XJumpmaster said:
How far is this from Dublin, CA.

It's just over an hour east of Fresno, so check how far you are from Fresno.

Rob D said:
.....My only concern I have right now is lack of spare d30 shafts(non-disco). Since I'm open up front I think I should be able to get by w/a couple of spare u-joints. (yes-no?)

It will be up to Scrappy since he's leading Dusy, but if I was you I'd go. There is a chance you could break a shaft, but it's not likely. You could always pull the broken shaft out and three wheel it out.....carefully. There also will be others who have spare shafts, just in case. To minimize breaking a front axle joint, always climb with your tires straight ahead, and do the same if you're backing up on the trail. Nearly all broken axle joints are either climbing or backing up with the wheels turned.

Oh, I just read that you're running 35's. Do you at least have 297x axle joints? If you're running 35's with 260x joints and Spicer shafts you have a decent chance of breaking a shaft. You can buy new Spicer shafts with 760x joints from most good offroad vendors that carry driveline parts.

Rickady said:
Ok, I really want to go on some trails with you guys, I'm on vacation during all of this, just not sure if my rig is ready? I haven't had the chance to get my rock rails yet. I have a hitch in back, I could put on some tow hooks in front. I think, maybe next year I would try Dusy and Swamp after I get some rock rails and bumpers and more experince on other trails.

Do I need rock rails for every trail or would I be good on some? Right now I got 33" tires, tnt 5.5" lift, U-turn crossover steering, steering box brace, heavy duty steering shaft, lockers, d30, d44.

Sorry, for the newbie questions. I really need to get around some people with experince on trails. So, let me know which trails I could run as is. :wave: Thanks,

Rick

You won't be hitting many rocks with a 5.5" lift and 33's. If you really don't want to bang up your rockers, then maybe don't go. But, if you did tag a rocker it probably wouldn't be very hard, and you're going to cover them with rock rails anyway. It looks like you're set up for these trails other than that........just do it! :)

Last edited:
XJumpmaster said:
How far is this from Dublin, CA. I will be there from the 5th to the 18th. If I get some time off on the weekend, I would like to drive out!

3.5 to 4 hours depending on how fast you drive. Been there many times. Where in Dublin are you staying at?

I am heading into Swamp Lake with another rig for the 10th, 11th, and 12th.

XJumpmaster said:
I'm at Camp Parks for two weeks and hoping to have the 11th and 12th off.

I live across the street from Camp Parks. Let me know when you are in town and we can go get a beer.

I am in alone for the Dusy, Monday-Thursday.

Captain Ron said:
Ardis and I will be there for the week, but I may not run Dusy. We should be at camp or running around in the area.

Gray and Black pop up trailer.

--ron

That's funny, I got a gray and black pop up, too. :cheers:

Looks like the wife, kids and I will show up on Saturday (with pop up), I'd like to see where Blue Canyon is on Sunday. I don't think we will go on Dusy this year, maybe we can hang out with anyone else staying behind? Looking forward to meeting you guys.

I am in for certain. I am pumped for this trip, and I cant wait to chill out with you all up there.

Back