• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" spare mounted in stock location

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished writing up what is needed to be done to mount a 32" spare in the stock location inside the Jeep.
More details is in the Interior Ideas section. www.go.jeep-xj.info

SpareWheel08.jpg

I made up some brackets to tilt the seat 10 degrees further forward.

SpareWheel22.jpg

Here they are installed

SpareWheel26.jpg

The hold down rod was raised and moved forward to centre it within the wheel.

SpareWheel32.jpg

Quickly sewed up a new cover yesterday to cover it as I store a back pack inside with a snatch strap and shackles. Will make another soon in a darker color.

I have a 265/75/16 that I have to lay down in the back. I can never seem to fit it in the stock location. Heck that is smaller than a 32". GoJeep, would I still have to modify the location with that size tire.

A 265/75/16 is a 32" tyre so would have to do exactly the same thing. I have a 265/70/17 which measures exactly 32" just like my MTR 265/75/16 I took off a few weeks ago. They will still vary between brands of the same size though but mine both measured out the same.

Pretty nice. My normal back seat passenger (beagle) probably wouldn't mind losing 10 deg of tilt. I am not too sure about any humans though. THinking of it now they probably wouldn't notice since they would still be complaining on how damn uncomfortable it is getting into the rear doors of a 4 dr lifted XJ... ;-)

George Trilikis

95% of the time my rear-seat passenger is a 70-pound Chocolate Lab with the rear seat flipped down...I might have to reinvestigate mounting the spare. Although I have one, I haven't had a spare on the road in years but at that time, I had one vehicle and three kids so the backseat was always in use. Hmmm.

Tom R. said:
Marcus, do you think a 33" tire would fit using your brackets?
No it would not I'm sorry. You would have to extend the brackets a further inch if it is a true height 33 ( and up a little more too ) as you cannot not go back towards the tailgate any further as mine just misses it now by millimeters. Be tight too to the roof but might just make it. You could though lay it on a angle so the tyre is actually sitting on the floor rather than on the mount instead. Take up more floor space that way too but easy enough to try out your 33. Just drop the roof bar down on that side and prop up the wheel while you tilt the seat back to it. I then sat in the back and my head still cleared and am 6'3". You dont loose any leg room at all dont forget as you are just sitting up straighter. Will stop those teenager's from slouching. ;)

Hey Marcus, your spare is on the wrong side.

:laugh3:

Now on a more serious side. All you folks with sound bars or late models with the integrated speakers in the headliner this may not work. I recall that my 31" tire fit perfectly in the stock location in my red Jeep until I got a sound bar, then it no longer fit (or almost didn't fit, I forget as it was a long time ago).

That tire did NOT measure a true 31... I forget what it actually was.

GSequoia said:
Hey Marcus, your spare is on the wrong side.

:laugh3:

Now on a more serious side. All you folks with sound bars or late models with the integrated speakers in the headliner this may not work. I recall that my 31" tire fit perfectly in the stock location in my red Jeep until I got a sound bar, then it no longer fit (or almost didn't fit, I forget as it was a long time ago).

That tire did NOT measure a true 31... I forget what it actually was.

Check my 5$ Mod

Marcus,

You never cease to amaze us with these well thought out mods of yours. I am looking into trying this for my 31" MTR-
Thanks for the write up and pics.

Sequoia- thanks for the words of advice on the soundbar- I do have one back there, so we shall see what happens. Did you read the whole right up though? He (Marcus) did move his soundbar forward a bit to accomodate the tire's height.

At any rate- awesome mod Marcus and keep us up to date on what's next for budget conscience modders.:guitar:

Later,
Coullt

My 31" spare fits with the sound bar...although it does push against the protective screening on the speaker.

Another good thing I found about moving the sound bar to in front of the upper seat belt mount was that is sounded better being closer an no need to have it as loud to hear it. :)
Also allows me to open my ARB fridge freezer higher as well when camping. ;)

Hey Marcus, do you have a template or a design we could use to copy that? I'm running 35's and I can almost lay the tire down in the back, but the seat gets in the way. It might be something to look into.

53guy said:
Hey Marcus, do you have a template or a design we could use to copy that? I'm running 35's and I can almost lay the tire down in the back, but the seat gets in the way. It might be something to look into.
I didn't make one even for myself as all you have to do is work out how much further forward and up than stock you need to move it with your tyre size. Even those that have the same size on the sidewall would not be the same between brands.
With a 35 you would also have to sit it on a angle so it sits on the floor rather than the wheel arch as well. Think you would end up vertical as well with a 35 so try sitting it in the back first and lean the seat against the tyre.

Actually Marcus I believe he's talking about laying it flat on the cargo floor, right 53?

Now, that said... I think you might have to push the seat too far forward, at that point not only would it be comfortable with the people sitting it it but I'd worry about the strength of the spacer, when it's shallow it's stronger.

Do you have onboard air or use CO2 perhaps? Another option would be to deflate the tire before stowage. Then you could just cram it in there. To make it easier you could remove the valve core. Depending on your air system this wouldn't be too annoying, you'd just always have to have air on you.

That's why mine is on the bumper. Kinda a pain in the ass for rear visibility but for me having it in the cargo area isn't an option and rooftop would be waaaay too much of a pain in the ass (enough of a pain to get the tire up onto the tire carrier!). I don't drive the Jeep every day (too expensive with 35's ;)) so I can deal with the rearward issues.

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Actually Marcus I believe he's talking about laying it flat on the cargo floor, right 53? Sequoia

Yup, that's what I meant. I'm looking into notching the back of the seat and making a sort of reverse wheel well in the back of the seat to make some room for the top of the tire.

Got you now. Not sure how much tilt you would need but easy enough to try.
As for storing it deflated, that was what I tried to do but even my General Grabber AT2 tyre's sidewall was way too stiff to make it dent to do it. That was with the valve core removed. I even tried with a ratchet strap to compress it and still did not work.

As for making a wheel well, that might work and looked at doing that with the tyre in the stock position as well. I was just going to tilt forward the section directly in front of the tyre and then scalp out some of the foam so it was still normal at the front. My head rest got in the way though. I would have lost the release working both sides at once too but that is not a problem for you.

Headrests 001.jpg

Here is a picture I took of how the head rests are fitted ( see my site for more pictures about that ) that shows you how the seat back is made. I think you have a good idea to cut in at the bottom and then remove padding the amount you go in. Should only effect the lumber of the centre seat anyway. You might be able to use a wheel tub to make it.

53guy said:
Yup, that's what I meant. I'm looking into notching the back of the seat and making a sort of reverse wheel well in the back of the seat to make some room for the top of the tire.

Mike Lockwood took the cloth off of his seat, and modified the back to have a wheel well cut into it, and then re-upholstered it tucked into that new wheel well, so that a 35 would sit in the back, layed down, and tucked into the back of the back seat.

I'd go take pictures for you, but he sold the jeep.

Marcus will you send me an autographed 8x10 glossy of your jeep?

actually I was wondering if you had more pictures of the sound bar with the map lights in it. I'm running two sound bars and want to put a map light in the front one but didnt think it would fit.

Back