• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire requirement?

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
Not gonna lie, I don't carry a full size spare. Nor does anyone else I wheel with, because we wheel almost exclusively at Rausch Creek, and leaving the tire on a trailer is a totally practical solution.

I've got beadlocks, on-board air, and a plug kit. In dozens of wheeling trips I've yet to encounter a situation where this hasn't gotten me off the trail, and I haven't even needed to use the plug kit on my own rig. 39.5s aren't cheap and I don't want to buy another one to use as a spare, especially since I don't want to continue running this tire size, and the tire I want to run isn't coming out for another few months at least.

So. With "full size spare" being a prominent item on the tech sheet for NAC-Fest, this puts me at a bit of a dilemma.

Let's say I can borrow a 37" tire on a wheel that I can fit. Would this clear me for the spare requirement? Especially at a place like Rausch Creek, would the equipment I've already got satisfy the requirements?

Being in the middle of the Rubicon is one thing, being anywhere at Rausch is another. I've gotten rigs back from the farthest point on the property with only 3 wheels attached in a matter of hours.

Truth is, I'd love to make it out for this event, I'd love to wheel and camp with other XJ folks, but if I have to lug around another 39.5 all weekend I'll probably just wheel with other groups, because it's not worth it to me to buy a $300 tire I don't want.

Sorry to sound like a whiny ass, but it's just a matter of being practical.

The requirement is something that will get you off the trail. If a 35 or 37 can do that, then it meets the requirement in my opinion. It does not have to be the same size or model of tires that you are running.

Back