• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 'Sticky' 2nd Gear

Murray_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all - '98, 2 door, AX-15, 6.5" long arm lift... my issue seems to be hit and miss. 1 time I jump in and it's really 'sticky' going into 2nd gear. I'm not going to claim to be a manual tranny-driver pro, I've only had this Jeep a few months now. But 1 time through the gears is like butter, the next red light I'm borderline forcing it into second... ideas? thoughts? am I not hitting a decent 'shift point'? Thanks guys!!

If it shifts smooth in all other gear then I would just change the trans fluid. You can use 10W-30 motor oil, penzoil syncromesh, redline MT90 etc.

My 2nd gear grabs every once and a while and it is usually because I am not revving up the engine high enough. Plus these trans are getting high miles now so factor in some wear on the syncros and that is something you are just going to have to live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it shifts smooth in all other gear then I would just change the trans fluid. You can use 10W-30 motor oil, penzoil syncromesh, redline MT90 etc.

My 2nd gear grabs every once and a while and it is usually because I am not revving up the engine high enough. Plus these trans are getting high miles now so factor in some wear on the syncros and that is something you are just going to have to live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this, id start with a fluid change.

i run redline MTL and am very happy. if i remember correctly, i went with that over the MT90 because its thinner and we tend to be cooler up here in the MW.

Thanks guys... I will start with a swap out. I hadn't done this right off the bat because the Jeep was a 'build' at a local shop and I gave benefit of doubt that they would've done so already. but, never trust a used car guy. :cheers:

Mine can be a pain to get into second gear too.

It has been overhauled and new synchros installed (P.O. says it was done by Border Parts, the relatively fresh coat of gray paint suggests it has at least been out of the vehicle).

I have done a fluid change. Now running the MT-90.

No noticeable improvement.

My suspicion is the sliders/forks/tabs whatever those pieces are that need to move back and forth.

It hasn't made its way up the priority list yet.

Thanks for the info Anak. I too am going to put in the MT-90 or MTL. I live in PA right off the lake so it gets pretty cold here and I was reading that peeps in colder temp areas had better success with the MTL.

It's also possible the clutch isn't completely disengaging when shifting. That would be more noticeable on the second gear shift. Make sure the master cylinder fluid level is topped up, and the clutch and pedal are properly adjusted.

David Bricker / SYR

It's also possible the clutch isn't completely disengaging when shifting. That would be more noticeable on the second gear shift. Make sure the master cylinder fluid level is topped up, and the clutch and pedal are properly adjusted.

David Bricker / SYR

will do! Thanks! I haven't been able to get out in the garage with it yet, but will certainly follow up when I do.

I haven't had the chance to do with fluid swap yet, tied up elsewhere, but I'm confident it is nothing more than some crappy fluid used at the time of the Jeep build. weather has gone from low teens and 20s to 45/50 here in PA a couple times over this last week (part of why I can't get in the garage, sick as hell), the cold days 2nd gear is a pain, as soon as it's above 35 it goes in like butter.

couple that with needing to change my oil filter adapter o-rings now. fun fun.

Back