• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Intake to a HO head

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
Simple quick question: I need a new engine for my 89 4.0 but low mileage Renix engines are hard to come by. So I was thinking about getting a HO 4.0 and putting my intake and exhaust on it so I wouldn't have to do the TPS mod and swap anything out. Will they fit onto the ports on the head without any trouble?

It works just did this with a friends jeep to get him back on the road. The ports on the intake are pretty mismatched. However it runs just fine.

Any noticeable increase in power?

Suprisingly, low mileage 4.0's are very hard to find on car-part.com. I think my best bet is a 4.0 out of an 88 Comanche with 101k for $450.

Not much increase in power but it was some. Even if he got the full benefit of the HO it would only be 13hp as far as stock stuff goes. So take into consideration that the intake is the renix and the ports are not matched all the great I think you might gain 5hp lol.

I've done just the opposite of you, I have run an HO intake on a Renix head. It will run okay and although the ports are, as mentioned above, pretty mismatched, I'd say go for a newer, low mileage HO and call it a day.

RenixPower said:
I've done just the opposite of you, I have run an HO intake on a Renix head. It will run okay and although the ports are, as mentioned above, pretty mismatched, I'd say go for a newer, low mileage HO and call it a day.

Are you talking about the ports on the head I/E? I have a 93HO head on my renix block, I just used the older renix intake gasket....runs fine

DirtyMJ said:
Can a guy port match them with a die grinder? Or is it way bad mis-matched?

I am sure you could, but with it bieng cast iron it would take some time as its a fair amount of material that needs to be removed.

I put a 93 motor in my 90 using the renix intake with no problems. The ports may be off a hair, but they both called for the same gasket. I also noticed a fair increase in power, but my old motor was pretty tired.

xjjeeper19 said:
Are you talking about the ports on the head I/E? I have a 93HO head on my renix block, I just used the older renix intake gasket....runs fine
No, I'm talking intake on head, not head on block.

RenixPower said:
No, I'm talking intake on head, not head on block.

I'm running the renix intake, and i had no problems....as stated above.....they both use the same gasket (renix&HO) the gasket did change till 2000-2001 I think.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I The ports may be off a hair, but they both called for the same gasket. .

Wrong Info..

Correct Info for those that are interested is that

THEY DO TAKE TWO DIFFERENT GASKETS! And they are off Alot more then a hair.

Renix Felpro # MS93680
ms93680.jpg

HO Felpro # MS94790
ms94790.jpg

Will either intake work on the other, usually yes. Will there be leak issues, possibily. There are people that have had and some that have not had issues.

I saw run the Correct fitment and be sure.. Just my opinion...

Well then good ol' Advance Auto gave me a renix gasket when I asked for a 93 gasket because they were exactly the same.

Ok I found an awesome deal on a complete ~98 4.0 with only 30k on it. If I were to swap the complete engine in and use my sensors, I would only have to modify the TPS right?

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Well then good ol' Advance Auto gave me a renix gasket when I asked for a 93 gasket because they were exactly the same.

I believe that they list the same gasket because the triad system that lists the part interchange and fitment was prolly wrong. BUt if you look at your / renix head and intake, intake port shape, it will match the 93680 (renix) gasket.

But its prolly going to be ok in saying though that you might never have a leak or issue. Only If you tried to use the Renix yr fitment gasket on the HO you would have about 15% of the port with gasket blocking it.

This is what a 99+ intake looks like on a '90 head. You can see on the upper right port where the top of the head blocks off at the manifold. After I swapped in the ported 99 head it was night and day difference in the power department.

DSC00738.jpg

RyleyF said:
Ok I found an awesome deal on a complete ~98 4.0 with only 30k on it. If I were to swap the complete engine in and use my sensors, I would only have to modify the TPS right?
That is correct, and it just so happens, if you want it, I have Hesco's TPS adapter so you can run the Renix TPS on the HO throttle body. This kills the idea of any jerryrigging going on, it is truly the proper way to do it. Contact me backchannel if you're interested RyleyF.

There is a small section on top of the intake port that will not overlap at the two mating surfaces, so I had to raise the intake manifold 3/16 of an inch by notching the dowel holes on the intake. I also ported the HO head to match the renix intake because lifting the intake really messed the alignment of the ports. A real PIA, but I had to keep the EGR valve for smog.

Ok this thread is now about putting a 98 4.0 into my 89 :D

I'm trying making a mental list of things that I need to make sure everything goes smoothly and I'm feeling a bit better about it.

Does anyone know if the ~98 4.0 (I say around 98 because I'm not 100% that it is a 98) has a provision for a knock sensor?

RyleyF said:
Ok this thread is now about putting a 98 4.0 into my 89 :D

I'm trying making a mental list of things that I need to make sure everything goes smoothly and I'm feeling a bit better about it.

Does anyone know if the ~98 4.0 (I say around 98 because I'm not 100% that it is a 98) has a provision for a knock sensor?
Yes it will have a hole, whether the threads are there, is a gamble. The worst case is you'll have to tap that hole out, but that's not too bad of a job. Chances are though, the threads will be there already. They are on the 99 engine I just picked up.

Back