• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 rc lond arm kit

Django89

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the long arm kit. Couple of questions. With the drop pitman arm they gave me. I have it installed my tie rod looks way to steep and if I just the passenger side up a little the link comes in contact with my sway bar link?? Plus when I'm driving if I hot a bump hard enough there's a loud bang from he floor. Plus my passenger upper control arm if I lossen the bolt and bounce the Jeep up and down alittle look like the joint moves back and fourth on the bolt but driver's does not. Any thoughts

A pic would be good for angle issue, other than that if you would have come on here sooner, RC stuff BAD!

I believe its more of a personal opinion for people, not that they are bad...if they were that bad they would have closed the doors. They stand behind the product and have always had great customer service.

What is bad about Rough Country lifts?

Simple answer, because for the money there are a lot of better options out there. Especially for any type of LA set up. They stay in business because they can market something people want and can buy at 4wheelparts, a lift.

What is wrong with their stuff? Bad welds? Bad joints? Everyone says it and I wonder if you should avoid them.

Just not up to par with the big boys. Have you ever used a Snap-On ratchet and then immediately used some Chinese junk after? That's like the difference we're talking about.

Yeah, I have some misc snap on stuff, and my brain doesn't want to give up on the box truck brands but that shit is all made over seas now and the Pittsburgh stuff from Harbor Freight just keeps working for me

That being said, I put a 4.5 long arm kit on my XJ about 5 years ago and then swapped out for 6.5 inch RE springs about two years ago and I have never had a problem with my Rough Country stuff and beat on it pretty good. People talking that there is better stuff out there keeps me looking around but I never pull the trigger on anything because I never have any problems with it. It eats up the freeway on trips from Georgia to Ohio no problem and gets stuck just as good as anything else I wheel with. Whenever I ask why they suck no one gives me any good answers. It makes me think that it is just the brand to hate on since everyone with a mall crawler puts it on since it is cheap and they associate the brand with people they dislike.

Well the RC LA kit is poorly design as far as the arm mounting points(width). It will "eat" bushings and possibly tear the mount off the axle!

Plus my passenger upper control arm if I lossen the bolt and bounce the Jeep up and down alittle look like the joint moves back and fourth on the bolt but driver's does not. Any thoughts
This is normal, and by design. When you tighten the bolt to spec, the brackets clamp down on the metal sleeve that goes through the middle of the bushing. That bushing is held in place by the clamping force of the bolt.

Flex!

The RC bushings wear out. Not a big concern, their customer service has been great for me:peace: (ordering new bushings is easy). Just replace the bushings every 20k or buy upgraded joints. I flex the crap out of my RC LA kit and it gives me no problems. I have overlanded my XJ over 9 states and 2 countries no probs. As to the OP: pics would help.

I agree with car enthusiast, people just want to hate on a not super great product. Works for me, I will prob upgrade one day but so far I am super happy with the RC LA kit.

I believe its more of a personal opinion for people, not that they are bad...if they were that bad they would have closed the doors. They stand behind the product and have always had great customer service.

Nope it's not a personal opinion when so many people agree.. their stuff just sucks. Weak, flimsy design and crap bushings. Their doors remain open because of their price point. And their customer service isn't anything to write home about anymore either. Had two pairs of leaf packs fail, quickly, and they only replaced one pack. Said I was stuck with the 2nd. I went to RE leaf packs and they've held up far beyond what those RC leafs offered.

Back