• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those that replaced their door pins

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing pins on the driver's side in my 01. I wanted to confirm that my work is not done, and this pin needs to be pressed in all the way:

1gC9PAj.jpg

And how the hell do I do it? I've tried hammer and punch and it doesn't budge, and I don't want to whack it too hard to mess up the hinge. I put a 6" c -clamp in there, but it was awkward and inefficient. I'm going to try a 4" clamp today to see if I can get it in there better, but this pin feels like it doesn't want to budge! Any advice?

All the pins on my 2k(4 dr) are flush! Possibly using a air hammer?

I was under the impression that pressing them all the way in "seats" the pin in the hinge and tightens everything up?

Mine sit the same way. I believe you have to grind the splines a bit for them to press in. About to do it to mine actually

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Never did this no an XJ but have done it on several other vehicles. I've found the splines on the replacement pins are slightly oversized to compensate for the hinge holes being worn. When really oversized I'll tighten the pin in my drillpress (I call it my vertical lathe) and cut the spines down to a tight press fit with a file. Takes time and some trial and error to get to fit tight but fully seat.

Filed the lower pin's spines down a bit before putting it in, and that seemed to help a bit. Still didn't want to go in all the way, but completely fixed my door gap and sag. Two body shops here wanted $500+ to repair (buy new hinges, cut old ones off, weld new ones on, etc). Two $8 pins and an hour of work and the job is done.

what pins are those? I had a buddy working at kimballs Midwest and we tried to find a replacement bolt but didn't have much luck. this was for a 88 mj tho

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

what pins are those? I had a buddy working at kimballs Midwest and we tried to find a replacement bolt but didn't have much luck. this was for a 88 mj tho

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The single pins were the Dorman pins from Amazon for $7 or 8. They sell four packs too.

Eureka! My doors are sagging a bit. Now I have an idea why and how to fix it.

I had to go through my annual carwash and have water cascading in between the body and door before I realized how bad it was. Got home and lifted it up and down and had a ton of play. Check arm bracket was busted to so replaced that while I was as it. Yup, replaced both pins and door is tight now.

I to have a 'waterfall' of sorts, but not from the door....mine is from the window weatherstripping....and @ close to $150 per door to fix, I'll deal with it for now.

Maybe when I get some 98 or newer doors, it'll have better weatherstripping.

And how the hell do I do it? I've tried hammer and punch and it doesn't budge, and I don't want to whack it too hard to mess up the hinge. I put a 6" c -clamp in there, but it was awkward and inefficient. I'm going to try a 4" clamp today to see if I can get it in there better, but this pin feels like it doesn't want to budge! Any advice?

There's a tool for that. http://www.eastwood.com/door-hinge-pin-puller.html?mrkgcl=764&mrkgadid=%7B_mrkgadid%7D&rkg_id=h-0f4a2273fd000616f6bcf12523741f54_t-1511619432&product_id=%7Bproduct_id%7D&adpos=%7Badposition%7D&creative=%7Bcreative%7D&device=%7Bdevice%7D&matchtype=%7Bmatchtype%7D&network=%7Bnetwork%7D&SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YbkgvXZ1wIVUGx-Ch0nMwTuEAQYAyABEgLhW_D_BwE

Like I said.....

http://teamcherokee.com/super-weatherstrip-seal-set-4-door-cherokee-wagoneer-1984-1996/

300 bucks for the window seals and another 100 bucks for the door to body seals......so 100 per door not including shipping (their prices are slightly lower than when I last checked, and team cherokee was where I found the lowest prices)

Still pretty expensive

Last edited:
Like I said.....

http://teamcherokee.com/super-weatherstrip-seal-set-4-door-cherokee-wagoneer-1984-1996/

300 bucks for the window seals and another 100 bucks for the door to body seals......so 100 per door not including shipping (their prices are slightly lower than when I last checked, and team cherokee was where I found the lowest prices)

Still pretty expensive

that kit is for all the all 4 door seals and the window wipes.
"This Weatherstrip Set Comes With All 10-Pieces Of Inner & Outer Wipes Plus A Tailgate Opening Seal & Reproduction Door Opening Seals For All 4 Doors For a Total of 15 Pieces."

"This Weatherstrip Set Comes With All 10-Pieces Of Inner & Outer Wipes Plus A Tailgate Opening Seal & Reproduction Door Opening Seals For All 4 Doors For a Total of 15 Pieces."

Well, if it does include the door to body seal, they have dropped prices a decent amount....still 325 with shipping tho. Not a bad deal compared to 150 per door last time I checked a few years back.

Have you used them ? Are the parts decent quality ??

Now gotta decide if I fix these doors, or get some 97 & newer ones without the fixed wing windows I hate.

Last edited:

Was getting ready to order this today, and realized.....it does not include all I need.....it does not include the door channels, which are the main problem on mine.

The Super kit is just the inner & outer wipes...no channels or division seals. (1 outer wipe per front door, 2 outer wipes per rear door, 1 inner wipe per door)

The Master kit @ 450 is closer, but it still doesn't include the division seals...and those are 35 bucks each.

Neither kit has the vent window seals in it for the front doors.

So, my original estimate of 150 per door is pretty darn close:

450 for master set
70 for 2 front door division bar channel seals
50 for shipping

That comes to 142.50 per door, and it is still not all that is needed to completely replace all door weatherstripping.

Last edited:
That is my fault then. I miss understood what all you needed. I have not got it yet but it is on the list of things I'll need. The other option I'm considering is the 97+ doors as well

That is my fault then. I miss understood what all you needed. I have not got it yet but it is on the list of things I'll need. The other option I'm considering is the 97+ doors as well

No big deal....I missed it at 1st too............

But the channels are what I need most...the lips are ok....but the channels have pulled back at the joints....so all 4 windows leak bad if they are hit with pressure.

Back