• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issue

KTMqdracer

NAXJA Forum User
99 w/ 248k on what I believe are stock pump and box...

I noticed recently that when making a turn (right or left) and then coming back to center, my steering wheel will "jump". Not exactly sure how to describe it other than thinking of it like the seconds hand on a clock, where it pauses and then goes, if that makes sense.

Between the two, I am assuming a pump issue, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I go spending $$

I would check front u joints. Jack front up, turn wheels to lock and spin each tire, feeling for binding. Look for loose caps or rust coming from the seals. If front end looks ok I'd start with a box first.

Check ALL your joints first, including ball joints. Do you get a jump when you turn the wheels sitting still on pavement?

The issue I'm having is only felt through the steering wheel, the jeep itself does not "jump" so I don't think its anything in the front end. Might have to take a video since I'm not really sure how to describe it

Mine is currently doing the same thing. I haven't troubleshot it, but it changes with speed. That tells me it's a u-joint in the axel. If it's smooth with the wheel straight, then it's most likely the u-joint.

Back