• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft position sensor is now discontinued

My93xj4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new cps for my 93 XJ. Called up the dealership and they told me they stopped making them. Does anybody know where to get an original mopar cps? I've tried 2 different brands and while the second one worked for a while, my motor stalled out again. Any recommendations?

I need a new cps for my 93 XJ. Called up the dealership and they told me they stopped making them. Does anybody know where to get an original mopar cps? I've tried 2 different brands and while the second one worked for a while, my motor stalled out again. Any recommendations?

You might try calling another dealer and asking them to confirm. But it may be true that the dealer part is simply not available any more (not in current production and all stock has been depleted).

The dealer computer is the most accurate. Sometimes there are listings online for parts that cannot be purchased because they have been discontinued but the parts catalog hasn't been updated to catch it. Sometimes you place the order and it goes through and you think great, I'll get this in a few days, but then the order gets canceled because the part is NLA.

I've installed a Carquest blue box CKP, and have had zero issues in my renix XJ.

They both say they DON'T fit a '93 .

The amazon one says it fits a 94, so it must fit a 93, they are the same.

I use the aftermarket ones for my Renix 4.0s, got Italian ones labeled Standard Products from Rock auto (stocked up about 8 years ago), but I modify the bolt mounting hole to get a stronger signal (Renix OEM issue), moves the CPS about 1/32 inch closer to the flywheel, and I have no problem with them.

I wonder if the HO CPS problems could use that same trick?

Just drill out the mounting hole on the CPS with the next larger number drill bit, then push the CPS closer to the flywheel as you tighten the bolts?

I think this issue is the strength (or lack there of) of the magnetic pulse signal.

Mopar P/n is 56026882. Its for 93+ 4.0s and yes its discontinued now. The part # break is 91-92 53009954(replaced by 4638128), and then 56026882 for the 93-96 models. Usually Wells will pickup the oem design as an aftermarket offering once the oem discos it.

Mopar P/n is 56026882. Its for 93+ 4.0s and yes its discontinued now. The part # break is 91-92 53009954(replaced by 4638128), and then 56026882 for the 93-96 models. Usually Wells will pickup the oem design as an aftermarket offering once the oem discos it.
For what it's worth, Carquest blue box parts used to be made by Wells. Not sure what all changed when AAP bought them out.

Odd, I thought the 91-01 CPS was the same part from Mopar? Did they actually change the part or just the part number?

........I think this issue is the strength (or lack there of) of the magnetic pulse signal.
I think Mike is right, and I also think the main problem
is oxidation at the connector plug. (That's why unpluging/
repluging the connector will get a failed sensor working
again.) Since the magnetic pulse signal is weak to start
with, maybe a good connection at the plug-in is more
important than the brand of sensor...?

I use a tiny dab of Kopper-Shield on the connector pins,
to enhance conductivity and prevent oxidation. So far no
CPS failures, knock on wood.

As I pointed out..........

You can still get a Mopar sensor........not just for diesel..........fits all engines.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-crank-sensor-56027611.html

Dealers........have them check "Vintage Parts", most counter guys are too stupid and too lazy.

Tampa_XJ pointed out they have different part numbers. Do you think they are all interchangeable? I've seen some cps's from the jy that look identical untill you look at the terminals.

I think Mike is right, and I also think the main problem
is oxidation at the connector plug. (That's why unpluging/
repluging the connector will get a failed sensor working
again.) Since the magnetic pulse signal is weak to start
with, maybe a good connection at the plug-in is more
important than the brand of sensor...?

I use a tiny dab of Kopper-Shield on the connector pins,
to enhance conductivity and prevent oxidation. So far no
CPS failures, knock on wood.

I tried cps's from AZ and napa. Az never worked and sent me on a wild goose chase. The one from napa worked for a couple of day then crapped out. Just installed one from the jy today.

How long are they lasting? I replaced mine a few months ago with the cheapest one at O'reilys and so far so good.

Aftermarket sensors are available all over, for ANY years. GOOGLE. You dont need the dealer parts for things like that. Im using an Autozone piece, its been working for years.

Back