• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New pads and rotors now clunking under braking.

The same arguement can be made about rear disc brake conversions over stock drum brakes also. More volume, better clamping force, better heat dissipation, and so forth.
The only thing i would say is superior with drum brakes are the emergency brake

Actually, there is no loss and no gains in going from drum to disks in the rear of my XJ,...well, it did gain a more trouble free braking system and to agree with you, it lose a much better parking brake system.

One thing is for sure, I used to lock up the rear tires with drums and still lock them up with discs. There is no way to improve the brakes on wheels that locks when firm braking force is applied except replacing the tires with some that have more grip thus improving the stooping distance. In reality, we are all trying to improve/ reduce the stopping distance of the XJ.

Last edited:
Actually, there is no loss and no gains in going from drum to disks in the rear of my XJ,...well, it did gain a more trouble free braking system and to agree with you, it lose a much better parking brake system.

One thing is for sure, I used to lock up the rear tires with drums and still lock them up with discs. There is no way to improve the brakes on wheels that locks when firm braking force is applied except replacing the tires with some that have more grip thus improving the stooping distance. In reality, we are all trying to improve/ reduce the stopping distance of the XJ.

With the disc proportioning valve it is way better balanced front to rear which is where the majority of my improvements come from.
Drums worked fine for me before the swap but discs are way better in every aspect but the parking brake. For my situation anyhow.

Back