• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The cure for your exhaust drone

OK, thanks.

Got any brands to recommend?

BTW, that company doesn't offer anything under a 2.5" fitting. Those are about $25 per set. Not too bad...

What process did you use to weld to the cast?

That will be the hard part on mine. Pretty sure it is cast iron.

Oh don't tempt me. ;)

Dont they have s10 v8 swap headers?
Pretty common swap one would think there is.

Yes they do- and without exception, they all suck.

Very few fit worth a damn, and I've pushed my engine 2" back from the standard location, making the issue worse.

Additionally, I'm running a stock(ish) 350, and so headers will get me very little for all the trouble.

Also, headers tend to rust out faster than manifolds. Namely- headers DO rust out. Manifolds don't.

If I ever go to headers, that will be the way it happens.

But again, I am running a stock motor. I have no need of headers. Additionally, I have no love for them, having been there and done that with other cars.

I may consider a set of oldschool Ramhorn manifolds if I can find them that will work. Or I may just say to heck with it and while I'm cutting off the collectors on these, redirect the passenger side down instead of back/down, in order to give me some more clearance.

Meanwhile, this is my DD, so I'll practice on the old 4.3 manifolds I no longer need, and if I can weld them well I'll go that route with another set of the 89 Camaro manifolds.

If I ever go to headers, that will be the way it happens.

I meant use your existing down pipes off of your manifolds then start plumbing new exhaust from one of the available kits out there.
No real need to hack the end of your manifold off.
Welding cast sucks balls and personally I try to avoid it like the plague.

Plumbing exhaust is the easy part. The problem I'm having is getting the old camaro manifolds to seal (I think).

It very possibly may be the crossover pipe. Half of it is the old 4.3 job and I saw some rust perf in it.

To that end I will be replacing everything from manifolds back.

Back