• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the dreaded evap/heatercore

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be replacing the evap before summer comes to Arizona.
how long should I plan on having to take to pull the dash ?
one person said 10 hours work.
another said 2 hours.

this is a 92 xj.
dash has never been apart.
any good guides ? i found a few videos but none in depth.
thanks.

On the 84-96 dash the one I forget about are the defrost vent screws holding the dash colored vent in place then bolts underneath the vent trim. I always want to lose those little bolts down the defrost ventilation.
Next big pita is unbolting the steering column, just make sure you have a big enough ratchet and socket for it. Those bolts can take a lot of persuasion. A few other PITA places to unbolt but it’s a doable job unlike the dash in a commander/GC, usually $1000 labor alone and two days work easy. I don’t think I pulled the center console although last time I did the job it was the dash harness I pulled all the electronics and the console was already out for another project (updating the center console to 97-01)
I’ve done pulled XJ dashes several times with no assistance.

Here’s a write up on it, I think most of it correct but the pictures are gone. I never removed the steering wheel, and left most of plugs, and just pulled the dash enough to get access to what I needed. When I did the heater core only on my non ac XJ I though there were a few tricks to it but it’s so long ago now I can’t recall what they were. There might be a few videos out there as well

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=963504

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the heater core on my ‘96 years ago. I didn’t pull the entire dash, just enough to get the core out. It took me several evenings to do it, so 10 hours is probably a good estimate. As mentioned, be careful with the bolts near the defrost vents. It’s easy to drop them.

It really isn't that hard. Like was said take pics and lable as you go that way if you have to leave it overnight or whatever you won't forget everything. Buy some new foam tape for reinsulating the seems on your heater box. I just bought some at home depot and it works great.

Back