• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Seals

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of freshening up my Dana 44 (87 XJ) before installing it in place of the current D35. I am putting new bearings and seals in it. My question is... the local parts shop shows 2 seals for the axle, an inner and an outer. I DID NOT see any inner seal when I tore the axle apart, whats up here??

Last edited:
SPSERG said:
I am in the process of freshening up my Dana 44 (87 XJ) before installing it in place of the current D35. I am putting new bearings and seals in it. My question is... the local parts shop shows 2 seals for the axle, an inner and an outer. I did see any inner when I tore the axle apart, whats up here??

pm d10shun. He just did a complete rebuild on a 44.

OK so what's the answer? Enquiring minds want to know. I have to replace my driver's side seal.

I have an 87'D44 apart at the moment getting it ready for gears,locker,disc brakes,etc to put in my 99' and replace the turdy 5.When you have the carrier removed,inside the case there is 2 black orings behind the inner bearing races.They have alot of black rvt on mine,could hardly see them. I don't know if this was factory or replaced at sometime later in this axles life. I think this is what is the "inner seal" you are talking about.Check and see if yours has these,and if they are o.k. Good Luck XJAY1999

XJAY1999 said:
I have an 87'D44 apart at the moment getting it ready for gears,locker,disc brakes,etc to put in my 99' and replace the turdy 5.When you have the carrier removed,inside the case there is 2 black orings behind the inner bearing races.They have alot of black rvt on mine,could hardly see them. I don't know if this was factory or replaced at sometime later in this axles life. I think this is what is the "inner seal" you are talking about.Check and see if yours has these,and if they are o.k. Good Luck XJAY1999
That is just a sealer that was pushed in when the axle was assembled.
The old 2 piece axles in the CJs had the inner and outer seals.
Wayne

Back