• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Swapping 95 doors onto an 89 Two Door

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching on this but couldn't find anything that covered my situation. Hoping someone can offer some advice.

Both the Driver and Passenger doors on my 89 XJ limited Two door, are completely rusted through at the bottoms and need to be replaced. Ideally, I'd just swap in replacement doors, similarly equipped, and in the same colour :looney: from another 89 but not much chance of that happening (I have spotted a few but by the time I get there, they're already gone):bawl:. I now have a line on a rust free set of door from a 95 Two door and wonder if a swap is feasible. The 95 doors are completely manual while my 89 are 'loaded' - power windows, power locks and power mirrors. From the reading I've done, it's feasible to swap the old guts (power windows and locks) into the updated doors.

Not sure however if the old power mirrors can be swapped into the updated doors and if the inside door covers can be swapped as well (so that the speakers and switches, etc will transplant over).

One more complication: I"d like to preserve the vent windows from the old doors - the updated doors have fixed glass. This one isn't a deal breaker as the vent's are kind of a pain anyway but if doable, I'd like to keep them. Can the vent windows be transplanted?

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

You can remove everything from your doors and swap them into any other doors. My Jeep had power nothing. It has pwr/w/locks/seats, CC, tilt, intermittent wipers and tailgate wipe/wash. Just drill out all the rivets and pop in new ones. The harness's for the doors are right behind the kick panels. Unplug them before removing your doors. You can swap the doors over first and do each door as you get time. The doors are the same up to 96 as you all ready know.

The power mirrors are swapable as well. I have power mirrors too. It's already in the door harness. The vent windows are just a couple of screws. The non vented ones are much quieter. I was thinking of swapping mine back to vented which I still have. My tires are howl a little so whats the diff.

Yep it will all swap. May need a few screws as some of the window tracks or electric motors may be riveted in and require drilling out. I put manual 95 doors on my 90 woth powe everything. Same situation

I've taken my doors completely apart several times and it is pretty easy. One of the headaches you will run into though is that the rivets used for the power window assembly and the automatic door locks are pretty large. Rather than buy a new rivet gun and try to source the proper sized rivets, I simply picked up some "clip-on nuts" from the local Home Depot. They look like the ones on this page:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clip-on-nuts/=yp1k1o

Next, I cut a couple of small bolts to the correct length (one of the holes in the door lock assembly is short on depth) and everything went together smoothly. The nice thing about this approach is that they are easy to remove if you ever need to lube them up.

HTH
Todd

Because I can..
Pretty sure that 95 doors will not fit on a vehicle that has only 2 doors.

I've taken my doors completely apart several times and it is pretty easy. One of the headaches you will run into though is that the rivets used for the power window assembly and the automatic door locks are pretty large. Rather than buy a new rivet gun and try to source the proper sized rivets, I simply picked up some "clip-on nuts" from the local Home Depot. They look like the ones on this page:

I guess I've been in a coma for a few years :roll:

You can buy the large pop rivets from Home Depot. At least you could buy them - it's been a while - I used them to put in a new Power window regulator in my 89.

Back