• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best All Around Boot

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been wearing Timberland hiking boots for the past few seasons. These are what I have had (or similar):

862.53052_e.jpg

I do a lot of hiking in warmer weather, as well as some snow, mud and other hiking. I'm typically getting about 1 year of use out of these and figured it's time for a change. Does anyone have any recommendations on a boot that's good for hiking, wheeling, daily use, and is also waterproof and above the ankle? Any recommendations are much appreciated!

I was wearing Ecco boots for several years, they lasted a good while and were really comfortable but they were $250ish (imported from Denmark). Now I use some $40 Wrangler boots from K-Mart for my beaters--the only real problem is that the soles wear out kind of quick (the boot stays intact just no tread), but at that price I can buy 6 pairs and still come out ahead.

I want to try a pair of the Danner 453 GTX at some point

Limmers:

http://limmerboot.com/

6 year waiting list currently to get their custom boots, but they have a few different models off the shelf. Every Forest service guy I've talked to says they will be the last boots you ever own. I have had the Standard Mountaineering models for several years now.

s7_813052_746_01

Rocky Outback. Lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, uninsulated. They last a long time and they don't cost too much. Only real drawback is that they're very slippery on ice. They also come in a lower cut version.

Cabelas

Check out keenfootwear.com. Most comfortable boots I have owned and are priced right around where Timberlands are, which are also nice boots.

I LOVE my Bates GX-8's. They're probably the lightest 8" boot you can find. They honestly feel like you're wearing tennis shoes. Especially that is waterproof (Goretex) and as rugged as they are. I've beat the crap out of mine for a little over 2 years and they look like hell, but still perform flawlessly. The ONLY down side to these are that they are not very well insulated but they breath very well. Which actually seems suited for your needs.

I also like that they are 100% composite. Saves weight and I've actually worn them through metal detectors without setting them off. That'll get ya some strange looks lol, but it's very convenient.

Also, the side zip is GREAT. You won't be able to switch back to laces if you go with a side zip, even if it's not a Bates boot.

module.jpg

AND, I paid 100 buck for mine to boot...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
I also like that they are 100% composite. Saves weight and I've actually worn them through metal detectors without setting them off. That'll get ya some strange looks lol, but it's very convenient.

Also, the side zip is GREAT. You won't be able to switch back to laces if you go with a side zip, even if it's not a Bates boot.

module.jpg

I have those boots, I wear them (rarely) because they are the least uncomfortable of the options I have (steel/composite toe, tactical black, 8") soles are hard, boots are stiff, zipper is convenient... I have nothing "good" to say about them myself, but that's just my opinion.
having worn plenty of laced 8" boots, convenience (zipper) is not a selling point for me if I am wearing them for work, trails, daily, etc.

for the OP "hiking in warmer weather, as well as some snow" kind of negates going for 1 pair of shoes/boots.
I guess it depends what temperature your talking about, but I don't like waterproof boots for the summer, but winter they are a must.
waterproof normally means less then great breathing, and once they are wet (deeper puddle, rain soak, etc) they stay wet. I can deal with a wet foot in NON-waterproof boots because I can wear them dry (wear them until they dry)

as for winter, waterproof 6", insulated, and a pair of NEOS or gator and your set for all conditions.

my keys for a pair of boots, no matter the time/place/etc is;
vibram soles
leather as opposed to synthetic
laced (zippers, pull strings

that being said I may look into those Limmer's. certainly got some reading to do.

I have those boots, I wear them (rarely) because they are the least uncomfortable of the options I have (steel/composite toe, tactical black, 8") soles are hard, boots are stiff, zipper is convenient... I have nothing "good" to say about them myself, but that's just my opinion.
having worn plenty of laced 8" boots, convenience (zipper) is not a selling point for me if I am wearing them for work, trails, daily, etc.

I put some Scholl's in mine but I didn't think they were uncomfortable before either. That's right, I'm gellin.

I interpret "stiff" as supportive which for me is a good thing. Or at least it's never gotten in my way. In fact, they've saved my ankles at least a couple times. But like you said, that's just my opinion.

Yikes people! He is looking for a hiking boot. I'd hate to try hiking in Redwings or duty boots.

As previously mentioned, Vasque and Keen are good companies. Limmer is sweet but too heavy for my taste.

I wear Merrells. The pair of mids I wear to work now everyday have lasted 6 years. I currently have a pair of lows/trail runners for my hiking pair, although they are not reccommended if you have weak ankles or knees. I like waterproof even in the summer, a good pair of socks(possibly wear liners as well) will manage the sweat.

Thanks everyone. My Timberlands are now completely worn so I am buying a new pair this week. I'm going waterproof for now with good traction since winter is upon us. Once spring comes I'm going to buy a separate spring/summer/fall hiking boot. These are the Merrell's I think I'm going to go with:

pEMS1-11230039venh.jpg

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12124833&cp=3712723.3718147.12324659.12296544

And these are the Merrell's I'm looking at for spring:

pEMS1-6220443venh.jpg

http://www.ems.com/product/index.js...terproof&cp=3712723.3718147.12324653.12296401

I've had a few pairs of merrells, great shoes they last most people years.
My feet are very flat, and the Merrell moabs lasted me a year which is the best I've found.
I've also worn their chameleon with the bungee cord laces which I wouldn't recommend, the cord frayed after a month.

My feet are very flat, and the Merrell moabs lasted me a year which is the best I've found.
I've also worn their chameleon with the bungee cord laces which I wouldn't recommend, the cord frayed after a month.

Thanks man. I have high arches so arch support is key for me. I'm going to EMS tonight to try them on and talk with the "experts" lol.

Tried the Merrell Moabs, hated em for the reason you like them. I need a high arch so they were very uncomfortable for me. The sole felt thin as well, like I could feel every rock I stepped on. Heard good things about the Perimeter.

Back