NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 15th, 2018, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Dana 30 Pattern Check

I should add that the run-out has nothing to do with any shimming, it's caused by the machining tolerances in the carrier and the gears and even your installation. Do you deburr the carrier? Did you stone and deburr the ring gear? Did you heat the ring gear and chill the carrier before installation? What brand of gears did you buy?
Old April 15th, 2018, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

Dana 30 Pattern Check

I didnt do any of those things. They are motive gears and I made set up bearings which is what I'm using now. Made sure to use the different carrier for the new gear ratio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I should add that the run-out has nothing to do with any shimming, it's caused by the machining tolerances in the carrier and the gears and even your installation. Do you deburr the carrier? Did you stone and deburr the ring gear? Did you heat the ring gear and chill the carrier before installation? What brand of gears did you buy?
Do shops really do these things? -- Kinda sounds like using distilled water in a coolant system -- we all know it's the right way but find me a shop where you have ever seen it done...
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

If your able to measure the backlash, you can still measure the run-out. The important thing is the pattern!
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
Do shops really do these things? -- Kinda sounds like using distilled water in a coolant system -- we all know it's the right way but find me a shop where you have ever seen it done...
No, but good installers can read a pattern and know what to do with it !!!
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:41
NAXJA Forum User

I am curious because you lost .003" in your different shim pack changing the backlash, where did that difference come from?
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I am curious because you lost .003" in your different shim pack changing the backlash, where did that difference come from?
If you are taking about difference in backlash between the last comparison then all I did was move the thinnest shim from one side of the carrier to the other.

Old April 15th, 2018, 21:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue xj 99 View Post
NRG= .0785
RG= .02055
BS=.008
Pinion shims=.059
If the carrier bearing pre-load was set..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue xj 99 View Post
NRG= .05590
RG= .04165
Pinion= .0355, Add .0204 for the baffle
Backlash= 10
What changed? What's your pinion bearing pre-load? Trying to help but over the internet(w/ bad pics) makes it tough to help w/o 20 questions. I want to suggest hopefully you could contact someone in your chapter that could see what your doing and advise.
Old April 18th, 2018, 12:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I do this in my shop.

The pattern looks pretty good maybe .001 too deep but it has good contact patch so I would run .008 backlash and call it done. .003 in carrier preload isn't going to hurt anything as long as u have enough preload.

You would be amazed at the gearsets coming out of the factories now. Had one just the other day with zero carrier preload as it just fell out out once I pulled the caps. Vehicle had 1200 miles on it
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:18
NAXJA Forum User

Dana 30 Pattern Check

Still playing around to fine tune the pattern. The last 4 pics I posted seem to be the best it's going to get (with as backlash of 10). Nothing has really come close to that since. I was able to find a shop near me that is going to help finilize everything. I'll post final pattern and specs after to help anyone else doing the same thing.