• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Drain Plug

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
I'm embarassed to be asking this, but is this the standard drain plug?- I've gone at it with a 5/8 socket and a box wrench, but can't get the damn thing to budge. it's counter-clockwise right? any tips or tricks to get this thing out without stripping the nut, or worse, stripping the threads in the pan?
TIA, please go easy on me :D

DSCN1186.jpg

Did you over tighten? Ive found the rubber material sometimes sticks itself to the metal. Is this the first time you changed it? It could be in there cross threaded which means re-tapping the hole. I've had success with this probem by heating up the bolt head gently w/ a torch and using a breaker bar w/ 6 pt. socket. Don't get too crazy though.

When they get stuck I usually pop the end of the wrench with the palm of my hand, the jaring seems to dislodge them better than a steady pressure and with less chance of screwing the threads out with the plug.
But anybody who has been pulling oil plugs for awhile, will find one that was put in way too tight and the threads come out with the drain plug.
I'm partial to six point box end wrenches and sockets. You can also use a 3/4" wrench piggy back on your 9/16" wrench.

Last edited:
My jeep is starting it's post-Jiffy Lube life, so this is the first time I've done it on this vehicle. thought it'd be a 10 min job- drove around, got it nice and warm, can't budge the thing .

I'm hesitant to try an open flame down there considering the amount of oil dripping from above (valve cover, oil filter adapter, and maybe rear main leaks)

I'm gonna pick up a spare plug or two before I try again- do they make self tapping ones just in case?

EDIT: just saw your post 8mud, I'll try that piggyback wrench for more leverage.

If you've used a two foot breaker bar and it still hasn't moved, your in some deep cheet. I'd be tempted to try an impact wrench, I've had better luck jaring stuff loose than I have with brute force.
They sell an impact driver, that you can put a socket on the end, really something you should have in your tool box anyway. They aren't real expensive. It's a ratchet you hit with a hammer. It also comes with an assortment of flat and phillips end heads, for those stuborn screws.
http://www.toolsearch.org/hardware/...ece-Reversible-Impact-Driver-Set-(56015).html

Last edited:
yeah, I remember that thread.

I've changed oil before, and seen several different drain plugs, but they all came out with just a little force on the ratchet/socket. this one's stuck like it's cemented in.

I'm thinking about going to a quicky lube place with the $19 oil change, let them get it out, and if it strips, they'll be stuck replacing it, if they can get it out, I'll have them put it back in loose, and change out the oil with my own in a few days. then again, something just doesn't feel right about doing that.

anyways, thanks for the replies, I'll likely try again tonight when I have another vehicle to make a run to the parts place if I need it, and I'll post a pic of that bastard out and draining oil. *hopefully intact*

rumblebelly said:
If you go that route, I would take it to the same place that did the last oil change.
Good point. If they were the last ones that worked on it, definitely take it back to them.

Looks as if that might have done a patch job.

Ask them to let you watch. :D

Not sure if he can take it to the same place or not. Of course, he runs the risk of it coming back with the plug tight as hell again.

Those places irritate me. My wife insists on taking her car to those places, which I'm fine with cause it's a Saturn and I don't wanna have to crawl under it. Right before Thanksgiving she got her oil changed and they added too much oil. Probably over 1/2 quart too much.

first time I started changing mine i remember I had two hands on the damn socket trying to get the plug off. Took alot of cussin and swearin, but it finalyl came loose. Seems like the drain plug is an odd size, none of my "normal" sockets could fit it very good. The second time I changed it, after not putting the plug back on so damn tight the previous time (dealer had changed it before that, so that explains it), I used an adjustable wrench to take it off. Took a little longer, but I could get a good grip on the plug. You might wanna try that.

Whack it couple light smacks with a rubber mallett. Then use a good tight socket and it should come out.

"I'm thinking about going to a quicky lube place with the $19 oil change, let them get it out, and if it strips, they'll be stuck replacing it, if they can get it out, I'll have them put it back in loose, and change out the oil with my own in a few days. then again, something just doesn't feel right about doing that."

Sadly if they strip it youll probably be paying for it.

BCParker said:
My jeep is starting it's post-Jiffy Lube life, so this is the first time I've done it on this vehicle. thought it'd be a 10 min job- drove around, got it nice and warm, can't budge the thing .

I'm hesitant to try an open flame down there considering the amount of oil dripping from above (valve cover, oil filter adapter, and maybe rear main leaks)

Though you don't want flame near fuel, motor oil is pretty hard to set fire to. Definetly have a fire extinguisher handy, the flame trick seems to have worked for me as it loosens whats holding it on. They could have stripped the threads and put some sort of sealent on to cover it up, in which case heating it good will loosen that.

Definetly get a plug for the 4.0, its cheap and those mated rubber gaskets wear out anyway (and will be toast if you heat it), yes they make self tapping ones but I find them less reliable than a genuine drill and tap.

Just thought I'd update this since I never seem to finish anything.

Bought a 19.99 impact driver as 8Mud suggested- great tool, but it's too long to fit onto the oil drain plug and still be able to hit it with any force.

so I took it back to the Jiffy Lube that the oil was last changed at, and it turns out I know one of the managers from High school.- he let me down into the pit, and I watched as he got it off with an air ratchet. the drain plug itself was destroyed, but the threads in the oil pan were still ok.- new drain plug, free.

The manager then let me add my own oil and filter,(mobil 1) had one of the high school kids clean the windows and vaccume, and I was on my way-

NO CHARGE, and he says I'm welcome to come in during off hours to use thier service bay in the future.

worked out well.

thanks again to all who helped

B

BCParker said:
Just thought I'd update this since I never seem to finish anything.

Bought a 19.99 impact driver as 8Mud suggested- great tool, but it's too long to fit onto the oil drain plug and still be able to hit it with any force.

so I took it back to the Jiffy Lube that the oil was last changed at, and it turns out I know one of the managers from High school.- he let me down into the pit, and I watched as he got it off with an air ratchet. the drain plug itself was destroyed, but the threads in the oil pan were still ok.- new drain plug, free.

The manager then let me add my own oil and filter,(mobil 1) had one of the high school kids clean the windows and vaccume, and I was on my way-

NO CHARGE, and he says I'm welcome to come in during off hours to use thier service bay in the future.

worked out well.

thanks again to all who helped

B

You gotta a good deal there, free use of the bay, NICE!!!

Nice followup - it's good to hear that it went well after all of the doomsayers had their piece. :D

valve2.JPG

I have an extra one of these if anyone wants it for cheap. I like it because I'm lazy.

Thayer said:
valve2.JPG

I have an extra one of these if anyone wants it for cheap. I like it because I'm lazy.

How cheap, and what thread? I'd need to get three more (at least,) but I've been looking into that for a little while...

Now, if I could just put a "drain guide" hose on it, that would be WAY COOL (hey, YOU do full fluid changes on four XJ's at a time...)

5-90

Back