• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chinese Ebay snorkel...installed

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry I did not take pics from the beginning as I did not figure anyone cared…much ;) Now a couple have asked so here it is. The install in the fender was pretty much just place the template carefully, mark and drill.
I removed the fender to cut and drill first but would have had to anyway.

The kit comes with a cheap poorly fitting flex hose… I did not use.
It also comes with a fitting to go on the stock airbox.
I RTV’d and bolted it in place.

airbox.jpg

I wish I had taken pics but did not. I used some PVC 90degree fittings and flex hose bought at Lowes to complete the hookup of snorkel to the stock airbox. It worked and would definitely work for a Mall Crawler. However running the tube and such down under the fender and up to the airbox left it very vulnerable. Any flex and my tire would have destroyed it and this XJ of mine only has 31’s.

So I started again and went with an inline filter from Spectre. Cost was additional but I think well worth it and I’m still spending less than for a Safari. So I removed fender again and started the process of going straight to engine bay through the inner fender.

innerfender.jpg

I could probably have drilled another 3” hole for the 90 degree fitting but I just cut it out to prevent and rubbing.

innerfendercut.jpg

On the end of the snorkel inside the fender I installed the 90 degree hose.

snorkelinsidefender.jpg

I than put fender back on and started on the engine bay. I had also purchased the Spectre mount for the inline filter so that helped a lot. I also had purchased an older model XJ in the bay windshield washer bottle. After removing the airbox it was an easy install just ran all the connector up to back and connected back up 

inlinefiletr1.jpg

Notice I had to purchase a 90 degree for the intake also… this one has to be a 2 1/2 “ on intake and other end 3” for filter.

inlinefilter2.jpg

Here you can see the washer bottle... it's not installed just placed for location I have since installed.

inlinefilter3.jpg

Here is the final install… if you have questions or want to see specific pics I will try and get them for you and answer any questions.

snorkel1.jpg

installed.jpg

Any ideas how or where to run the blowby hose that goes to the stock airbox???

Or ideas how to terminate into something else?

Seems like you always see that blowby hose replaced by a small filter sitting on top of the valve cover. Don't know that it's the best option or not.

My son had a good idea... I'm going to replace the 4" straight connector hose with an accordian style flex pieces. That way it allows for enging torque movement :)

I think that the rubber boot right on top of the tb helps with that. Adding accordion tubing will interfere with the smooth airflow though I don't it would even be noticeable.

Good point!!! I don't have the stock hose off the intake so not as much flex but I'll keep it as is... THANKS

I hope you have good motor mounts because I really don't seem much give in the design for the motor torque.

I ordered a flex hose replacement. This is not my off road XJ but my "Camping Expo XJ"... not as much rough crawling type but could torque it especially pulling the trailer... better safe than sorry and the straight smooth air flow is anot that big of an issue for me.

Central Overland is doing the High Watermark tour in Arkansas next month and I just want to prepare as much as possible :)

On your A-pillar bracket, did you put the elongated holes to snorkel or pillar?

Did you just use sheet metal screws or did your kit include anchors to install into pillar?

Customer dropped one off and this thing is garbage. I cant believe they ship that hose with the kit..

The elongated holes on the Snorkel and I replaced the locknuts with stainless steel I will probably chnge those studs too... they are rusting.

On The A pillar I do not remember if the kit came with screws but I replaced / used stainless there too.

For the price we received "inexpensive" hardware ;)

planning on crossing deep water or what? your tranny is gonna fill up with water snorkel or no snorkle... hate to tell you that you are wasting your time..... but...

Yes water crossing but not the main reason... works for dusty areas too.

The Oklahoma Arkansas guys on central overland do a high water crossing trip each year. this year I'm planning on attending.

Please explain about the XJ transmission... is there a way to protect?

Hell, we were running through deeper than that at HF for ROM.

Yea but I like the pic ;) :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but are not the
"Breather" hoses really to release built up pressure... therefore an out flow not sucking in of air / water. The stock diff hose front is into engine compartment pretty high. I extended the rear up to the driver side fender well above gas filler and vent tubes. The diff and transfer case I have not yet extended but will give a look this weekend.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Are there more plugs than the two under the front floor mats any in the rear or cargo area? Hate to remove rugs for nothing.

Back