• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant get the drain plug out

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I just got th xj and I am trieng to chance the oil but the previous owner must have stripped the drain plug becouse it won't come out it just spins.Any ideas on how to get it ?

Pry the bottom of the plug with a screw driver while you try to get it out. Keep the pressure on the screw and hopefuly it will catch and come out

Time to drop the pan if you can't get it to grab...I hate to see you have to do that...Does it come out at all? Try a small headed screw driver, tap it in a little at a time to see if it will hook

I called a jiffy lube they will do it and charge me $8.99 for a new plug.I am going to take the oil I already bought and have them use that and just charge me the labor to change the oil.

Jiffy lube = worse then AIDS

make sure you check the oil levels before you drive off

jiffy lube snapped the head off the drainplug on my father in laws tacoma. I drove it back down there to talk to them about replacing it, and saw the mechanic putting a drainplug on another customers car with an air ratchet :doh:

Maybe this is not true everywhere, but the guys who flunked out of my auto classes, all work at the same jiffy lube :D

Well I got you beat mike... They recomened a trans fluid flush on my gfs 05 tundra, my gf said ok go ahead and do it. Long story short is that the trans on the tundra is a closed system and jiffy lube fk'd up the tranny on her truck so she took them to court and won $8k but it's not worth the trouble if you ask me... I would pay a homeless guy to work on my junk before I let jiffy lube touch it!

I called a jiffy lube they will do it and charge me $8.99 for a new plug.I am going to take the oil I already bought and have them use that and just charge me the labor to change the oil.

And take your own filter too, theirs are crap.

I grabbed it with vise grips and tried to hit it with a hammer but it didn't work.I tried to stick a screw driver behind it and pry it but no luck.I was going to drop the oil pan but theres gotta be an easier way.

Hope the slide hammer works, if you end up dropping the pan, check the rear main first, might as well since your in there.

I had a 4wd truck towed in from jiffylube cause the truck would not move off there lot after the oil change. The tranfer case was in neutral. I think the same dumaus works at the carwash down the street cause they sent me the same truck two differnt times after they moved the shifter into neutral. I think your best bet would be to weld a handle to the drain plug, where you can pull with both hands while turning.

Back