• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding Groaning Noise Fixed!!!! this is for anyone with that noise!

speedmonkey7

NAXJA Forum User
:roflmao:Ok I was having a problem with kind of deep groan, rattle, vibration kind of thing under acceleration that felt like it was coming from right underneath me. I searched and searched on the threads here, and found that it is a common problem...however noone seemed to have reported on the solution to the problem. I'm not sure if the people in the other threads just never fixed the problem, or forgot to tell us what the solution was. Anyway the fix to my problem noise was that the transmission mount was demolished, but I couldn't tell until I pulled it out! I even had my fiance power brake the dang thing while I watched the tranny and it never budged! It didn't thunk when going into or out of gear, and visually the mount didn't look bad. It is really hard to diagnose, and I think my soon to be wife was starting to have doubts about my sanity through this (hearing things, talking animatedly to inanimate objects...etc. lol). If you are having a weird groaning noise on acceleration, and you have tried everything else, pull your tranny mount and check it. I got a new OEM style one with a lifetime warranty on it at AutoZone for $29....it's the best $$ I have ever spent. I no longer lie awake at night wondering what that god-forsaken noise is! I am now a happy XJ owner!! Anyway I hope this helps some poor sleep deprived person like it did me.
Have fun and keep em tire side down!!!
Chris:wave1:

Last edited:
Are you talking about the sound after you let off the gas or when you step on on the skinny pedal? I get that noise when I take my foot off the pedal. 94XJ, AW4, 4.0

LAB, I have been trying to figure out what that same noise is??
I thought it was something in the diff, but I couldnt find anything.

Bub, I know it's not an exhaust leak, I just removed my exhaust manifold and welded it. I'm just wondering if it's my t-mission or my t-case. I hate this noise, and you can't duplicate it unless you're going about 45-55 and let your foot off the skinny pedal. Sounds like a Jake Brake. Same noise?:dunno:

I guess it wouldn't hurt to jack the tranny up and pull the mount off. If they aren't rusted up, it wouldn't take but 15 minutes under the truck...

I may check mine out just for the hell of it...

My noise was when I stepped on the gas from start till just after it shifts into 2nd. My noise went away at that point, unless I really got on it and it downshifted hard. It never happened to me on decel at all. LOL my next problem is driveline vibration, and I haven't even lifted the dang thing yet! I think I might have knocked a weight off the driveline. :firedevil

LABMBA87 said:
Are you talking about the sound after you let off the gas or when you step on on the skinny pedal? I get that noise when I take my foot off the pedal. 94XJ, AW4, 4.0

My first guess on a growling/groaning noise when you let off the gas would be rear driveshaft. If you've got an aftermarket CV style shaft that hasn't been greased regularly you may have burned it up, also check the u-joints. If they're seized they'll make this kind of noise. Hope this helps.

Definitely not the fan shroud. Mine is not longer there. Still the noise. How does one go about checking the drive-shaft?

my grinding noise that I used to have during deceleration was resolved installing a SYE.

same problem as LAB... whenever I let off the gas I get a loud clunk from under/behind the drivers seat. I thought it might just be a d/s u joint, but theres no laxity in mine. also I thought it could just be all the wear and tear over the years showing up on the driveline, (its an 88) but I just only rolled over 175 000 kilometers! Im hoping its just the t-mission mount.

Nav

Blaine B. said:
Great, now fix my mysterious hot-engine problem. Hopefully for $29.00 as well.
Ha ha ha, I had the same over-heating engine - 4.0L, and old school fix has completely cured it free of charge. I turned the heater on low and just let it blow all the time in the cab and viola! No more over heating engine!

Cheesy, but may save you a bunch of trouble shooting and worry. I flushed the cooling system and all that but it made no difference. Go figger

Yep, water pump, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, heater valve, viscous fan clutch, coolant temp sensor, gauge sender, flushed a few time, 50/50 coolant mix.....

Got up to redzone today driving around town in 90 degree weather.

Temp fluctuates alot. I'm so confused at this point. No leaking heater core or head gasket either!

Electric fan works too....turns on when it should, etc.

I'm really looking into converting to the taurus fan instead of the mechanical fan. I wonder how the fan clutch is really doing....whereas there'd be no clutch to fuss about with another electric fan.

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
Yep, water pump, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, heater valve, viscous fan clutch, coolant temp sensor, gauge sender, flushed a few time, 50/50 coolant mix.....

Got up to redzone today driving around town in 90 degree weather.

Temp fluctuates alot. I'm so confused at this point. No leaking heater core or head gasket either!

Electric fan works too....turns on when it should, etc.

I'm really looking into converting to the taurus fan instead of the mechanical fan. I wonder how the fan clutch is really doing....whereas there'd be no clutch to fuss about with another electric fan.

I don't see any 16# RADIATOR CAP on that list...

RichP said:
A bad cat or muffler can cause overheating too.

I have a deep groan on heavy acceleration from take off only for about 4 seconds on mine, but I think mine is some kind of early exhaust system resonate growl during take off, that sounds kinda cool, like there is some real power under the hood. :greensmok

RichP said:

Forgot to add it to zie list - yes, that's new too....twice. :lickout:

I was told that if the muffler/cat was bad there'd be a real loss of power, and the shift points would be all fubar.

I was also told I could have a worn timing chain causing retarded timing....

OR maybe the gauge's ground is just funky. I don't know though, it's accurate and such when the electric fan comes on.

Going to have to borrow/buy some sort of laser thermometer to verify these temps first.

Speedmonkey7,

Thank you for your writeup. I have a sound ('93, 4.0, auto) at startup on anything other than a very gentle acceleration that I have described to myself as sort of like spinning tires on gravel. I will do some more checking on the exhaust system but if I should end up pulling the mount, I am curious what damage to look for -- bent, elongated mounting holes...? Perhaps this will be obvious on inspection but thanks in advance for your further observations.

Try jacking up the t-case, and watch the tranny mount for any signs of seperation. The mount will stretch a little if is still good. If mount just "pulls" apart without any signs of the rubber stretching, then the mount is bad. And, do not just crank on the jack, because you can rip the mount apart.

Back