• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, no spark, I'm out of ideas.

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody, my housemate swapped a new engine in his 91 cherokee. It is a 1996 block and head, with the 1991 intake, sensors, and everything else. He originally had the 1996 distributor and flex plate on there, which we changed back to the 1991 tonight. I now just spent the whole night trouble shooting the electrical system. It has a new CPS, both the CPS and the cam position sensor (hall effect switch in the distributor) have power to them and show continuity all the way to the computer. I tried a new known to work coil and distributor. I double checked that the distributor is dropped at TDC. I tried a new computer in it, and tried a new coil wire. So basically, both CPS and Cam position sensor are getting power, the wires connecting them back to the computer show continuity all the way to the computer, and a new computer doesn't make it work...what am I missing? There is no spark whatsoever. Thanks, Christian

Last edited:
Mich88XJ said:
Hey everybody, my housemate swapped a new engine in his 91 cherokee. It is a 1996 block and head, with the 1991 intake, sensors, and everything else. He originally had the 1996 distributor and flex plate on there, which we changed back to the 1991 tonight. I now just spent the whole night trouble shooting the electrical system. It has a new CPS, both the CPS and the cam position sensor (hall effect switch in the distributor) have power to them and show continuity all the way to the computer. I tried a new known to work coil and distributor. I double checked that the distributor is dropped at TDC. I tried a new computer in it, and tried a new coil wire. So basically, both CPS and Cam position sensor are getting power, the wires connecting them back to the computer show continuity all the way to the computer, and a new computer doesn't make it work...what am I missing? There is no spark whatsoever. Thanks, Christian

Did you check to see if the coil is getting power ? Did you reconnect all the grounds including the one that goes from the head to the firewall ?

RichP said:
Did you check to see if the coil is getting power ? Did you reconnect all the grounds including the one that goes from the head to the firewall ?
I am said housemate. Coil gets power. All grounds that I know of are hooked up.

We will get beer and work on it until we figure it out...or pass out, one of the two...until then scott, you better get your steering box tightened back up or you won't even make it out of Dollar Bay, lol.

Back