• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 problem

tmbs99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I know that aw4 questions get asked a bit so I've searched but cannot find anything similar.

1995 Cherokee
about 350,000 k's
aw4
no drive except in low range

The previous owner had the transmission develop a problem over time where he had to let it warm up prior to driving, otherwise there was no drive in any gear. This carried on for a few months and he just lived with it. Then one day no drive at all. He changed fluids with Castrol transmax but still nothing so he decided to get a new car and sell it. This is where I come in!

I haven't done much except try to move it when it came off the trailer. Nothing forwards, touch of movement in reverse. I put it in low range and it drives enough to move it.

Part of me says swap the box. Part says service rather than discard... shame to see a potentially good box discarded when a few parts could fix it!

I've started research and will try the electrical vs mechanical test when I'm there next - it lives on a farm a couple of hours from the city I live in. However I'm not sure if the solenoids would be indicated in the low range thing that's happening??

If you haven't already, I'd drain the fluid and take a look at it. Don't know the particulars on Transmax, but I found 4 different formulations. 2 said DexIII and the other 2 are Type F and ATF+4. Dex III/Mercon in the AW4.

The symptom you describe sounds like the torque converter is shot...or not properly engaged... or empty. An empty (or low) torque converter will not do it's job.

This is what happened to my MJ. I had to remove my torque converter (aka, drop the tranny) While removing the torque converter is EASY, the R&R of the tranny is not and a shop will charge you $600-$800 just to remove and replace the tranny. A quality torque converter will run about $225-$275. The whole job, if you do it...about $300 (seal, TC, fluid).

If the fluid was done properly, a completely empty AW4 will take 8.5 qts. If the PO just drained and filled it'd take 3.5 qts. The rest of the fluid lives in the torque converter. If it only has 4 qts in it it won't GO. So, check the level, see if it's brown or red. Red good, brown bad.

Thanks I'll look into this! My initial thought was that it'd have to be something to do with the converter as it was like a clutch slipping. Just the low range thing threw me when I discovered it would drive - that part doesn't quite make sense to me.

Back