• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I tell if my Torque Convertor is properly seated.

twoplanker

NAXJA Forum User
Let me know if you guys have any input on this. I replaced my TC and Flexplate, but want to be assured that they are properly installed.

The snout on the converter will be behind the bellhousing's front surface, you won't be able to get your fingers between the converter and the bellhousing, the converter will make a very solid 'thunk' noise when pulled out slightly and pushed back in. The final test: engine and trans will make solid contact when slid together yet the converter will need to come back forward slightly to contact the flexplate.

Clear as mud?

Ok, I am having a hell of a time getting my new(ly used) TC seated. I've marked the ears on the tranny and the notches on the TC, but can't seem to get them to mate. The new TC looks identical to the old one, so I think that it is not a parts issue. Does anybody have any tips on this?

slight pressure perpendicular to the input shaft while turning the converter. You'll feel three distinct "thunks" as each set of splines engages.

If you find that what you have one of those miserable, rotten, ain't going to seat no matter how much you try, dirty Son..., well, if you can't get it seated get some help and stand the transmission on end while you turn the torque converter.

If you find that what you have one of those miserable, rotten, ain't going to seat no matter how much you try, dirty Son..., well, if you can't get it seated get some help and stand the transmission on end while you turn the torque converter.

OK Joe, I'll have to call the boys, but it's gonna be tough to enlist some help on Mothers Day. I guess it is not uncommon to get one that is a SOB- just my luck.

Wow! Have you looked at the back of the crank closely? That's where that pilot sits.
Yeah, the crank looks ok, the pilot (bearing)/ snout of the TC, if that is what you are referring to (I thought that a PB was only w/ manual trans) may have been rattling around briefly, but I shut her down as soon as all hell broke loose.

OK Joe, I'll have to call the boys, but it's gonna be tough to enlist some help on Mothers Day. I guess it is not uncommon to get one that is a SOB- just my luck.

I used to always keep a couple steam-cleaned 35 gal. grease barrels around the shop for standing them up in.

Yeah, the crank looks ok, the pilot (bearing)/ snout of the TC, if that is what you are referring to (I thought that a PB was only w/ manual trans) may have been rattling around briefly, but I shut her down as soon as all hell broke loose.

Sorry I guess you didn't catch the lingo. It's not a pilot bearing, but the snout of the converter seats/ rests/ whatever you want to call it, into the back of the crankshaft. If that area is chewed up it'll be really fun to get the flexplate bolts tightened up without binding.

Sorry I guess you didn't catch the lingo. It's not a pilot bearing, but the snout of the converter seats/ rests/ whatever you want to call it, into the back of the crankshaft. If that area is chewed up it'll be really fun to get the flexplate bolts tightened up without binding.

OK J, I get ya. The crank has some minor grooving, but I don't think it'll be an issue. Right now, the order at hand is the TC. I was told to replace the front tranny seal which is worn, but I don't know what trans I have. Time for more research/ maybe another post. Unfortunately time is at a premium- kids, little league etc. I'm trying not to make a career out of this, and your help is always appreciated.

OK J, I get ya. The crank has some minor grooving, but I don't think it'll be an issue. Right now, the order at hand is the TC. I was told to replace the front tranny seal which is worn, but I don't know what trans I have. Time for more research/ maybe another post. Unfortunately time is at a premium- kids, little league etc. I'm trying not to make a career out of this, and your help is always appreciated.
Also going out on a limb and guessing AW-4 (came behind the 6cyl 4.0L.) If so you want seal part number 8350 3752. Might want to buy two just in case you mung the first one up trying to get it seated, they are fairly cheap.

Thanks to all who responded to my posts, my rig is now mobile. A few key points/posts were critical for the success of this job:

1. Make sure you have the right torque convertor!
  2. The ratchet strap-tranny to jack trick made this a one man job.
  3. Three "thunks" to seat the convertor.
By the way my ride runs better than it has in over a year- that's how long the flexplate bolts were rattling. So thanks again for all your input.

NAXJA Rocks!

Back