• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Northwest Fest 06 brainstorm

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm highly encouraging someplace OTHER THAN Naches. ;) Some of us have tossed around someplace like Sand Lake/Florence or Tillamook State Forest in Oregon, or Moses Lake, WA. Have talked to some folks about Florence and it seems a good time to go is either April or September, otherwise the dirt bikes/quads seem to overrun the place. None of these places, from what I understand, allow any alcohol on premises including camp. Flags are going to be required in the dunes as well.

Any ideas? Keep in mind that we have to accomodate several vehicles and be available for camping.

Please keep discussion on topic...blah blah. ;)

what about something like a ultimate adventure kinda thing? maybe spend a day in moses lake, drive to naches, run a trail, camp and then head over the pass (via a trail) and finish by running something over on the west side?

Other than that i'm up for something with some sand this time around.

Dingo

TSF or maybe Browns Camp :twak: :jester:

I would love to get the chance to wheel with the Oregon group. We haven't had the chance to get the whole chapter together yet. Plus I hear that there is wheeling for ALL levels of skill.

The Ultimate Adventure sound cool too. Maybe Eble, Evans, Naches Pass,

Or Evans, Naches pass(night run), Moses Lake

Hans

XJourney said:
The Ultimate Adventure sound cool too. Maybe Eble, Evans, Naches Pass,

Or Evans, Naches pass(night run), Moses Lake

Hans

If we can figure out some of the really gnarly stuff we can host a Best of the West event...but rest assured, we have to make sure it's REALLY good before inviting that crowd. ;)

I'd love to do a full week of several WA and OR locations. That'd be a fun one to run with some willing folks. :)

I would have to say Rimrock would be in order for them. Maybe a little Pucker Ridge :skull2: Unfortunately I would have to stay on the porch for the Big Dogs

So we officially start on Saturday Morning. So for the Ultimate Advent. we could only get two locations in since most people leave Sunday at noon.

Hans

XJourney said:
So we officially start on Saturday Morning. So for the Ultimate Advent. we could only get two locations in since most people leave Sunday at noon.

Hans

Any possibility of starting a day early say start on fri morning? I know the PNW4WDA's jamboree that is held around naches runs thursday-sat.

I like the idea of a week long tour too. I'm pretty sure we could even get a magazine or 2 to cover that if we did it UA (ultimate Adventure) style (no trailer queens) we could always set that up as a secondary run I suppose.

I'm up for an oregon run too, since i've never made it that far south.

Dingo

On the UA thing, I have read on a fourm of a trail that Starts in north Oregon at the border of Washington and runs south through Oregon. I read that takes about 4 to 5 days to make it. Have no clue on the terrain, Here is a bad map of the trip. http://www.oohva.org/
For NW Fest, I would like to try TSF and would be willing to drive from Spokane.
I think the dunes are a kick for atv's but kind of get bored with 4x4's. I have been from Coos Bay to Florence and back via the dunes a couple of times. There are some nice pay camp grounds along the dunes. They stopped camping in the dunes about 10 years ago so no bonfire party. They have very strict laws on sound levels, the ragers check at the loading lots.

A Ultimate Adventure type trip sounds great (I was trying to plan a minnie one last year but it just never happened). But for NWFest, it should be in one spot.

My vote is for TSF. I have not been there yet, but hear nothing but good stuff. I is reasonably easy to get to for the whole group and has something for everyone. I have wheeled in the sand and it is just not a great place for such an event (plus can be VERY HOT that time of year).

To be honest, I think that Naches is not a bad spot either, something for everyone, kind of centrally located also. I know some people are boarded with it.

So lets start planning both of these events!!
Let me know what I can do to help!!
I think the UA trip should be done over say 3 days for the first trip. More participation that way.

Michael

I'm down for TSF. I've been there and it's fun. I'd also be down for Sand Lake, etc. I ride quads too and spend lots of time in the sand. Florence is awesome terrain on an ATV, not as much fun in a Jeep. Sand Lake is better suited for that. IF you're thinking sand, it can be lots of fun. Alcohol IS allowed in the campgrounds, and in the day use lots, but not ON the sand. If you camp in the sand, technically it's supposed to be no alcohol, but as long as you're not obnoxious they do not enforce it if you're sitting around your fire next to your camper drinking. They just don't want people drinking while out riding. Sand Lake is VERY close to Browns Camp/TSF (30-45minutes). You could actually do TSF for like Thurday/Friday and then go to Sand Lake if you wanted. I'm also always down for Naches, although I understand how some people could get bored. September/October works good for me as I've got LOTS planned in April/May and a new baby due in July.

My $.02

J

It sounds to me like we have TWO events to plan, and I like the sound of both of them! As for NWFest, TSF would be okay, but I agree with Michael in that Naches is still a great spot. I would also veture to say more senic and with a better chance of nice weather.

I'm not wild about the sand dunes idea, but that's just because I prefer more technical rock/trail stuff. But if what Avonteone says is right, that could be cool too:
Avanteone said:
Sand Lake is VERY close to Browns Camp/TSF (30-45minutes). You could actually do TSF for like Thurday/Friday and then go to Sand Lake if you wanted.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting back out there with you guys! Let's make it happen!

-----Matt-----

Well, hopefully, I'll be able to make it this year. Naches is a good choice for me, because it's pretty much in my backyard. :D

However, TSF would be cool, I would just have to dig up a tow rig. (Not that my jeep isn't streetable, I'd just be scared of breaking... it likes to do that... A LOT)

The Ultimate Adventure would be awesome.

Come on Oregon boys, it has been 18 hrs and no reply from anyone south of the border.

I would love to hear from some locals to TSF

Hans

I have never been to TSF but have heard great things. And since it is closer to the dunes for those who would want to hit that too it would work great!

TSF does have something for everyone, that's for sure. You have everything from basic dirt trails, to Can Opener (I believe that's the name of it). When myself, Pdxxjnoob and Crookedxj went up to TSF last, we walked through Can Opener and it was hard to believe anyone could actually drive down it, but I'd love to see someone with the guts (and rig) to do it! Theres plenty of places up there to circle the wagons and camp too. For those that are into it, there's also an amazing hill climb there as well. Never seen anyone make it to the top yet, and you'll understand why if you ever see it in person.

Dvipercop said:
TSF does have something for everyone, that's for sure. You have everything from basic dirt trails, to Can Opener (I believe that's the name of it). When myself, Pdxxjnoob and Crookedxj went up to TSF last, we walked through Can Opener and it was hard to believe anyone could actually drive down it, but I'd love to see someone with the guts (and rig) to do it! Theres plenty of places up there to circle the wagons and camp too. For those that are into it, there's also an amazing hill climb there as well. Never seen anyone make it to the top yet, and you'll understand why if you ever see it in person.

That does it for me!! TSF just went to the top of my list!!

Michael

Dvipercop said:

by can opener he means the crushers.

My vote would be for TSF. You could also do a couple days at TSF and a couple at sand lake since its only about 15 miles south of Tillamook.

Last edited:
Sounds like TSF is getting some good attention here. We've got a LOT more folks from Oregon on here since last year, so it only makes sense to do something down that way. :) I'm seriously interested now! If it does come down to that, I'd be interested in having some local folks show me around TSF on a Sunday in April while I'm in Seaside for my anniversary.

There are some concerns over doing a 'split' type of event, but that can come from much further discussion. To keep things simple, a single venue event would be the ticket. We can talk about the implications of such in committee, but for now it's just brainstorm stuff.

TSF works for me, even though it is a much longer drive. If we will be camping, I have an outfitters tent 24'x16' that can house a lot of people on cots.
Naches is always good. I prefer challenging runs like Elbe, but would enjoy getting together even if the trail leans towards the mild side. (can't believe I am saying that...)

For me, it is mostly about Dates. Let me know when you are thinking of having the event...

Back