• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil over rates.

92xjRJ

NAXJA Forum User
coil over rate questions

so i know this has been covered a few times over but i have found nothing definitive. Im really only looking to see if anyone has ran coil overs on their rig and what the rates you have had success with, i have a set of 12 inch coil overs and i want to set them up for more of a prerunner with the occasional trail riding to camp and what not. I talked with poly performance and talking with them they pointed me in the direction of 200/200 with a 14 lower and a 10 upper, now that would give me 100in/lbs at ride height does that sound right? im completely new to coil overs, in my head im comparing to deaver jeepspeed springs that come in at 245/285. and this is obviously a proven spring and i was using it as a baseline but im lost at this point haha any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
you didn't specify if you were running them on the front of the rear, which is a pretty big difference.
200/200 seems light. I ran 225/375 12/12" on the front of my xj and it was great. Probably 45-50% droop IIRC. I ran the stop rings for the dual rate slider less than an inch off the slider at ride height. took some real decent hits without breaking your back and still did ok on smaller stuff.

you didn't specify if you were running them on the front of the rear, which is a pretty big difference.
200/200 seems light. I ran 225/375 12/12" on the front of my xj and it was great. Probably 45-50% droop IIRC. I ran the stop rings for the dual rate slider less than an inch off the slider at ride height. took some real decent hits without breaking your back and still did ok on smaller stuff.

Sorry dont know how i missed that. they are for the front. how did that drive on the road? did it do ok in the rocks/trail type stuff. i know its almost impossible to get one rate that does all that to the fullest but just curious

it drove fine on the road aside from body roll from no sway bars and also having 16" coilovers in the rear. Even with the body roll, it was predictable. i never felt uncomfortable in the corners and it was a blast going up the hill to big bear. It handled the rocks great, it flexed like crazy and felt pretty stable. I had no issues using all of the travel in articulation.
FWIW, i eventually went to 14" coilovers in the front and went to a 200/300 14/14, which kept my droop about the same (6.5" or so). It rode about the same.

it drove fine on the road aside from body roll from no sway bars and also having 16" coilovers in the rear. Even with the body roll, it was predictable. i never felt uncomfortable in the corners and it was a blast going up the hill to big bear. It handled the rocks great, it flexed like crazy and felt pretty stable. I had no issues using all of the travel in articulation.
FWIW, i eventually went to 14" coilovers in the front and went to a 200/300 14/14, which kept my droop about the same (6.5" or so). It rode about the same.

vanimal that is the answer i have been looking for, real input! thank you. i think i might try something close to what you had with the 12's i think i will order them from somewhere that has the exchange program. i know it will vary but how much lift did you have with the 12's?

no prob. I went through a lot of springs before i felt i got it right. Summit has cheap coilover springs that arent bad... i got them for about $35 a pop a few years back.
I think i was at about 5.5-6" of lift.

no prob. I went through a lot of springs before i felt i got it right. Summit has cheap coilover springs that arent bad... i got them for about $35 a pop a few years back.
I think i was at about 5.5-6" of lift.

Sweet that's the info I was looking for someone who has played around with different rates. And that's the perfect amount of lift, well not perfect but it's what I'm looking for lol. Thanks a ton man!

there's not a ton of left coasters with coilovers on their xj's. The East Coast guys are all about that LCOG shit with hardly any uptravel, which doesnt fly out here, especially when you want to go fast.

Back