• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Fog Lamps

PalmettoOne

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I've wasted my money on LEDS that won't work in my 98 XJ...I need to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before.

Is there a good direct LED replacement for the stock fog lamps....that won't drive my mechanic crazy trying to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

I'd like to know the same... I have a set of LED headlights that I'm running on my '01 XJ that I like but still have the OE bulbs in my stock fog lights.

LEDs in the stock fog light housing would be crap. The housing, which is a nicely made, is not designed for LED bulbs. You would just scatter light everywhere, and possibly reduce your visibility, and definitely blind other drivers. The low mounting points of fogs are by design to light up a small section of road in front and larger section to the sides with a narrow beam during foul weather.

Best thing you can do is make a relay harness for them, just like a headlight harness. Follow that up with some quality 55w bulbs. I created a harness and had some Hella yellow bulbs shipped from relatives in Germany, and they are now amazing foul weather lights. Cost less than $35 to boot.

LEDs in the stock fog light housing would be crap. The housing, which is a nicely made, is not designed for LED bulbs. You would just scatter light everywhere, and possibly reduce your visibility, and definitely blind other drivers. The low mounting points of fogs are by design to light up a small section of road in front and larger section to the sides with a narrow beam during foul weather.

Best thing you can do is make a relay harness for them, just like a headlight harness. Follow that up with some quality 55w bulbs. I created a harness and had some Hella yellow bulbs shipped from relatives in Germany, and they are now amazing foul weather lights. Cost less than $35 to boot.

I don't disagree that the OE Housings would be a bad idea for LED bulbs... nice idea you have. Part of the reason I've not really messed w/the OE fogs is because I've always planned on replacing the front bumper w/something else that would remove the OE fog lights all together. Then maybe I can add in some nice round LED driving lights to the aftermarket bumper... but that's still somewhere down the road for me.

Why LEDs no work on your 98?

I had a problem running LEDs in my 98. They were causing some dash lights to be partially lit and high beams were stuck on. Once I pulled the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood, all was fixed and LEDs worked like a charm.

X2. Im not against LEDs, but I think halogens in quality housings can make better more focused beams for lower cost.

This!
I've been there and done that. It's a great idea to do for your headlights as well.

Why on earth would you pay a mechanic to install fog lights? It's VERY easy.

Why LEDs no work on your 98?

I had a problem running LEDs in my 98. They were causing some dash lights to be partially lit and high beams were stuck on. Once I pulled the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood, all was fixed and LEDs worked like a charm.

If you pulled the relay, how on earth did you get the fog lights to work?

Magic?

Back