• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights and turn signals/parking lights malfunctioning

tizzdizz

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this issue on JF but didn't get any responses. I really don't want to have to take this to a mechanic.

On my way home from work, my turn signals suddenly stopped working. At first I thought it was a bad bulb, but both sides are flashing fast, and my headlights are also not working. When I turn on any of these lights, the high beam indicator and both green arrows light up, and my odometer flashes bright/dim.

I checked all fuses, and they seem good. When I turn on the hazards, they start flashing erratically, then I hear a buzz sound and they flash less and less. I'm not really sure where to look to find the problem, and I'm worthless with finding electrical/grounding issues. Does anyone have any advice or previous experience for me?

The one thing I can't STAND is electrical issues.

We need to know your year. Also need clarification on what "turn signals stopped working" and "both sides flashing fast" means. Have you checked the fuses under the hood and on the inside?

Duh, sorry about that, it's a 99 4.0 AT. I checked ALL the fuses, and they're fine. The lights started working again today, during lunch, but did not work this morning on my way to work. I noticed that the bulbs all seemed to light up fine, so none appear to be burnt out. When I turned on my hazards, they still do similar things, but not as bad.

By "turn signals stopped working", I mean the lights weren't flashing, although I could hear the flasher clicking fast, as if I had a bulb out. It acts the same way turning both directions.

I'm just not sure how the headlights, parking lights, turn signals, and hazards could all be going haywire together, but judging from the fact that they worked OK today, I'm thinking there's a loose wire.

All the signals, the flashers, and high beams go through (in one sense or another) the hi/lo/turn signal switch on the column- maybe that headed south on you? I really hate mulit-function switches. Mine has an issue where the flashers only work when the flaher switch is on and the turn signal is in the left turn position.....

I repaired my headlight problem by cleaning the connector between the engine compartment and the front lighting. The connector was on the left side, behind the headlight, and it was rather hard to get to, not sure if it would be in the same place on a 99.

Back