• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front "frame" build

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
I wanted to have a running thread here on NAXJA covering the build of a "frame" on the front of my XJ...well what's left of my XJ.

The plan is to build a tube frame front...aka buggyish...

If you are wondering why I'm not just building a buggy...its because everyone else is and I want to do something different...or try to...there will be a buggy eventually...but I'm gonna hang with this chassis for now...

It should be interesting to say the least. I have til the end of February to get it done for winterfest.

Here is the starting point.

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

And the process beings

Tearing off the grill and fenders

DSCF0001.jpg

Cutting the inner fender wells out (used sawzall)

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

Cutting the uniframe out (used plasma cutter)

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

I never realized the uniframe had all these levels of metal in it...

DSCF0026.jpg

I think if you click this link it should take you to the album for all the pictures.
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/macgyvr/Jeep%20Buggy/2007-8%20front%20build/?start=0

Definately more to come with Winterfest around the corner.

mac 'its do or die now' gyvr

coil buckets make great beer holders.

find any lost tools when you cuT the frame?

interesting.

most people clearance their rockers before they clearance the engine compartment... :D

Pat said:
lookin good...are coilovers going to be involved in the reassembly?

Look for some pics ref matter this very very soon...

I actually have the answer...but I'm too intoxicated to take pics and get htem upl oaded...

mac 'metamorphisis' gyvr

Wow! That's going to be a lot of work. What are the goals for the build?

i really like the idea of keeping the cherokee body - cutting - and building off of it and using it as a starting place - most people keep the front end the same but take fneders off, fill with tube to give it a tube buggy look but with the rear the way you have done it i think it is going to be an awesome combo to have a tubed rear and front

kudos for creating a tube buggy from a cherokee - there are one or two others builds on this board and i have read through them over and over like goatmans! not only is cutting the uni brave and perhaps crazy - i love it! i think a nice tube front with good flowing lines would match the rear quite well. a possible look?:

6k89zqw.jpg

macgyvr said:
I wanted to have a running thread here on NAXJA covering the build of a "frame" on the front of my XJ...well what's left of my XJ.

The plan is to build a tube frame front...aka buggyish...

If you are wondering why I'm not just building a buggy...its because everyone else is and I want to do something different...or try to...there will be a buggy eventually...but I'm gonna hang with this chassis for now...

mac 'its do or die now' gyvr

Agreed... everyone's building a buggy here in NC.. I want to see something different...

Good luck.

Is the tranny holding up the engine?

Goatman said:
Wow! That's going to be a lot of work. What are the goals for the build?

winterfest and FF08

oh and keeping the front tires out of the fenders...

a tubed front...

how it turns out i dont know...but the same crazy person that helped me tube the rear is helping up front...

thanks for the replies and i do want something "different" and i'm sure one way or the other it will fit into that category

stay tuned...some pics coming of some parts recently purchased...

btw, the guy that is helping me does do tube projects on the side...however i'm not posting contact information until mine is done :) wouldn't want a paying project to take him away from mine :greensmok

mac 'its gonna be interesting' gyvr

More info on the build.

I bought this radiator used

For those keeping score it measures approximately 20 tall x 21.5 wide x 2.5 inches...its aluminum...

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

i picked up four of these as well

fox air shocks

again if your keeping score approximately 22inches collapsed, 12 inches of travel and 34 inches extended...

DSCF0044.jpg

and i picked up another hysteer arm for the d60. i have one on the pass side already, but going to full hydro i can now move the tie rod all the way up hy...

DSCF0046.jpg

yes it was a pricey day at BRANIK (www.branikmotorsports.com) a buddy of mine owns the shop and his son and another buddy work there...they are currently building 3! buggys to compete in XRRA east coast next year...

mac 'vangina sale = a extra jeep money' gyvr

ZacSquatch said:
Is the tranny holding up the engine?

In one of the pics you can barely make out a jackstand and a block of wood.

Mac, you're going to have to give up your source - I have a couple fab projects in mind I need someone to do :D

Back