• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for opinions

AppleValleySlim

NAXJA Forum User
A few days ago I got a free 4 foot x 8 foot sheet of diamond plate that's over an 1/8th inch thick. (Suckers heavy!)

So I cut out some rear quarter guards that extend out past the tail lights on the sides. I was going to wrap the guards around the lights, but the metal is too thick to get a tight bend. (with my tools)

Anyway they turned out decent enough.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

I only used a fraction of the full sheet of diamond plate so today I was thinking of making front fender armor. Then I also got to thinking I probably have enough to continue the armor across the doors as well. But since I can't bend it, it will only run down to the fold in the bodywork.

This would help unify the look front to back.

But I wonder if it would be too... Poser?

So I'm asking for opinions. What do y'all think, should I run it front to back? Leave it as is or do the front fenders as well?

Ride'on,

~C!~

For your rear quarter guards, i would cut out notches so that the lights can be seen from the side...for safety on the road/highway.

I would definitely recommend some rock rails asap if you want armor for your rockers. But I would do the door guards before the front fenders. If you can't bend the plate, you could either cut the door guards to fit from the bottom of the door up to the ridge but not over it. So it would work out as flat pieces.

If you really wanted to bend it, you could cut a notch into where you want to bend it...thin out the metal a little bit, put the notch on a piece of 4x4 or 2x4 and bend it slowly.

no go on the front fenders .

door trim would be okay.

rocker guards are needed though and that 1/8 diamond plate wont work for that.

keep the plate make some rocker guards and use the diamond plate on the top side of the rail for grip when your getting in n out of the jeep.

djblade311 said:
For your rear quarter guards, i would cut out notches so that the lights can be seen from the side...for safety on the road/highway.

That's what I was going to say.

And "nice paint scheme" :D but who am I to talk.

personally i just think itd look gay.

also if you messin up front fenders..... well lets just say your pretty deep into it anyway and you shouldt even have very much fender left.

AppleValleySlim said:
Rockers are at the top of the list. My welds look like the stuff that comes out of my nose after a day in the dirt... So I'm waiting until my buddies got time to help me out.

Why do you say that? Tire rubbage at full stuff?

Ride'on,

~C!~

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
personally i just think itd look gay.

And that is why I asked for opinions before actually doing it. :D

Might look cool... or... Might look Greg Lou-gayness

I'll probably drill a couple 2" holes in the side to allow the lights to be seen from the side. This is only a trail rig, but I do drive it to and from the trails.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Ride'on,

~C!~

The only thing gay was Josh's opinion about safty at night...
:D

Okay, lets talk about how to bend the plate.
Get a carbide tip for your circular saw, carefully notch (like Josh said) the back of the plate where you want your bends. You might want to practice on a smaller piece to see how deep you need to cut. The little pieces of aluminium that fly off the saw are hot! Safty glasses....
Its not to difficult and does help maintain the body lines of the doors.
When you do tear them up, they are replacable.
I still dig the paint!

Rick

BTW Some people have done the plating using two pieces on each door, they just skip the 1" part of the bend....

Jump This said:

lick my taillights buddy! :D I didnt know if it was purely trail rig or not. If it never sees the street, then he doesnt have to do it.

Jump This said:

Okay, lets talk about how to bend the plate.
Get a carbide tip for your circular saw, carefully notch (like Josh said) the back of the plate where you want your bends. You might want to practice on a smaller piece to see how deep you need to cut. The little pieces of aluminium that fly off the saw are hot! Safty glasses....
Its not to difficult and does help maintain the body lines of the doors.
When you do tear them up, they are replacable.
I still dig the paint!

Rick

BTW Some people have done the plating using two pieces on each door, they just skip the 1" part of the bend....
i dont know for sure but i think the plate is steel not aluminium. but the same thing still applies to bending it if you use a 4.5 inch grinder with a cutting wheel.

You know what......I ASSUNMED it was aluminium...
Forget the steel. Too F*ing heavy.
I was thinking he was kinda' a wuss if a 4X8 sheet of 1/8" aluminium was
real heavy.
:wierd:

Rick

having bent steel diamond plate by hand a few times the notching will help but really a couple good friends and some heat applied will make it much easyer if you have a vice and a few hours free time

Jump This said:
I was thinking he was kinda' a wuss if a 4X8 sheet of 1/8" aluminium was
real heavy.
:wierd: Rick

CRAP!

<Runs outside with the bathroom scale...>

OK in my defense

It is 3/16's Aluminium
The remaining piece (After cutting roughly 3 feet off the long end for the rear quarters) weights in at 78.2 pounds. So it was probably about 85lbs as a full sheet.

It had also been sitting in my buddies backyard soaking in the high desert sun and was nearly the temperature of the sun.

So in the quick clean and jerk, whilst burning the crap out of my hands, toss into the bed of my truck... It seemed to have some weight to it. That's my story and I'm stickin to it, your honor.

I'm not a complete wuss... Some parts are missing. LOL

But now y'all got me wondering if it's too heavy to stick on the doors...

Ride'on,

~C!~

no it will be fine for the doors. I just mounted PMW 3/16ths steel plates on my doors with two sided tape. :)

Back