• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Renix Coil Question

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
On the bottom of the coil block there are 3 places for 3 connectors to go into. On mine there are only the front 2 connectors connected. The rear one is disconnected and I havent been able to see it annywhere. Does anyone know if this is normal or if something is missing. I'm at work now and I'll get some pics of what i'm talking about up tomorrow.

that's pretty funny....i just noticed that same thing about my '88 last week. mine's a 5-speed, i don't know if that makes a difference, but it's the same way. i looked at an '89 5-speed at work the other day and it was the same also, nothing in that "extra" position. :dunno:

mccastlej said:
There's not supposed to be anything there. If you take your coil off, you can see that there are no pins in that connector at all.

Correct - there are only two connectors in three sockets on every RENIX rig I've got. This is normal, but I'm not certain why...

5-90 said:
Correct - there are only two connectors in three sockets on every RENIX rig I've got. This is normal, but I'm not certain why...

Renix was just funny like that.

Like how five speed Renix rigs have teh wiring loom for the auto trans. TPS input just lying there hanging out doing nothing...

GSequoia said:

Like how five speed Renix rigs have teh wiring loom for the auto trans. TPS input just lying there hanging out doing nothing...

Yep - got two of those as well. There's probably a plug for the TCU underdash as well - I haven't gotten that far yet...

GSequoia said:

They probably just did it to cut costs on making and supplying 2 different wiring harnesses. I had a 2000 Taurus that had a lot of that going on in it.
1 more thing, does anyone make a performance coil for the 4.0L kinda like the Accel coil I have on my 2.8L
Thanks for the replies :)

Last edited:
How many volts per chage does it put out. I doubt that I could run anything larger than a 45 gap.

1985xjlaredo said:
How many volts per chage does it put out. I doubt that I could run anything larger than a 45 gap.

Unless you're looking to run boost, most "modern" ignition systems (since GM put out their HEI in 1974 or so, and most followed suit before 1980) run plenty of spark. RENIX strokers seem to do well, based upon reports from the field (I haven't built one myself. Yet. I have done several Chevvy strokers tho, so the principles are not foreign to me...)

If you're looking for more performance, an ignition alone will give negligible effect on an electronically-controlled vehicle. You're going to have to do some work on the engine itself...

ah ok just hoping for a cheap upgrade Thx.

Back