• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal / parking lights - plug locations ???

OldFarts4X4

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0

I think I have some plug corrosion, and am wondering if anyone knows where any main harness plugs are located for the front turn signals / parking lights ?

What it's doing : When I turn on the parking lights or the headlights my Right dash turn signal indicator stays lit, the Right front parking light bulb is out completely at that point (not lit), and if I then turn on the right turn signal the dash indicator works, but the parking light side of the circuit blinks at the bulb (dim) not the turn signal side of the bulb. This problem is in the front only, the rear lights work perfectly.

The right side does this 100% of the time, and once in a great while the left side joins in just for fun , and then both sides do it exactly as described above . When it's just the right side doing it, the left side functions perfectly inside and out.

Flasher and all vehicle bulbs have been changed, sockets are corrosion free and wiring looks factory new (nothing has ever been cut or spliced or repaired)

That is why I am guessing a plug somewhere ............

Any thoughts ?

Thank You :cheers:

Last edited:
Salt air is a wonderful thing.IIRC the plugs are behind the head lights,in the area in front of the battery and air filter box.
My 87 had similar symptoms and while the bulb sockets looked good the contact points had corroded off the wire.
Replaced both light sockets(cut &splice) and all is well.
Wayne

Same with my '87, sockets look fine, but somewhere inside the ground path is broken. Verified bad socket with a test light. Clipped the test light wire to the positive battery terminal and touched the ground tab inside the socket, no light. Pierced the ground wire right behind the socket with the tip of the test light, light came on.

Right dash turn signal indicator stays lit,

That would be it one of the right sockets, take the bulbs out one at a time to find out which ones the problem one.
I have seen it be the bulb itself even.

Back